VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2005, 05:14 PM

Lightbulb My Gripes/Bugs/Requests List - SecureCRT 5 Beta 2

I've been saving these up, apologies for any duplication - I did check through the forum for any obvious ones.

- Memory usage: Sometimes this gets crazy with 10 tabs open it goes upto 150mb.
- Slowness: If return to a tab which has been inactive for some time, the program can go really slow for 10-20 seconds before returning to normal. Often lots of disk activity (lots of physical ram free, I'm pretty sure it's not windows paging). Didn't occur with v4.
- Activator: You changed the position of "SecureCRT sessions" from v4 where it was bottom of the list to v5 top of the list. This is *so* annoying when coming from v4, months of brain re-training will be needed! (I beg you to reconsider, bottom is also nearer the mouse cursor)
- Activator: When you select a session from the activator and that session is in a window of many other tabs, the window is restored with the last used tab in focus, NOT the tab you selected from the list. Happens most of the time but not always. Annoying++
- Disconnecting: If your connection to a host becomes non-responsive because that host itself went offline, pressing disconnect does nothing, almost as if secureCRT is waiting for a disconnect ack from the remote host. Can take a minute or so for the disconnection to take place in your secureCRT session. You can't close the tab or anything, it's just 'stuck'. Again, annoying.

Requests:
- Activator: Add user-definable number of active sessions shown on right click, please.
- Activator: "Connect" from activator currently opens session in a new window, no option to put this into a tab in 'a' window of choice or default. Consider changing something here to make it 'tabbable'?
- Tabs: user-definable size/min/max of tabs (certainly as a config setting, and also maybe on a per-tab basis). They get too small too quickly and two letters visible sometimes makes it hard to ID what tab is what.
- Tabs: Make the coloured dots smaller. They eat up valuable tab-bar space and really don't need to be so large. A vertical shade down the left of the tab, or change the background colour of the tab itself would be better (I did see this suggested elsewhere).
- Tabs: Make tabs dragable between windows instances of secureCRT. This would let you re-organise tabs into different windows. This would be lovely.

Phew! I think that's about it for now, will start a new list

TIA, keep up the good work!

Last edited by andy; 03-31-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:11 PM

Wow - 150Meg ! I have 20 tabs open now, all with 1000 lines of scrollback, and I'm only using 32meg peak. Something seems fishy with your setup. And I can see how this would cause slowness - sounds like you're swapping.

I agree with your feature requests too. Check out B3 for change tab activity light sizes. Not sure how you would allow user to determine min size of tab, yet create more tabs when there was no more room. Hmmm...
Old 04-01-2005, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC
Wow - 150Meg ! I have 20 tabs open now, all with 1000 lines of scrollback, and I'm only using 32meg peak. Something seems fishy with your setup. And I can see how this would cause slowness - sounds like you're swapping.
I'm pretty sure it's not swapping, lots of free physical and the growth to 150mb is fast, as if there's something wrong. Never had this prob with 4, even with many instances, the total of all was much, much less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC
I agree with your feature requests too. Check out B3 for change tab activity light sizes. Not sure how you would allow user to determine min size of tab, yet create more tabs when there was no more room. Hmmm...
When tabs get to the end a scroll button appears, that's already the case in B2.