Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 01:20 PM

6.7.0 (build 123) scroll with slection is slow

When going backwards or forwards when selecting text is slower then in previous releases. I remember being able to speed it up if I moved the mouse back and forth faster or something. Kind of a pain when trying to copy a few 100s of lines of text.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:57 PM

Hello adudek,

Thanks for reporting the problem - sorry to hear selection isn't working as well for you. Subjectively, I am getting better results with a newer, soon to be released build than with a prior 6.7 build. If you'd like to try a newer version please send e-mail to support@vandyke.com with subject forum thread 7338 attn Mike.

You may want to try selecting text as follows:
  • Select a portion of the beginning of the text and release the left mouse button
  • Scroll up (or down) to the ending portion of text by using the scroll wheel or scrollbar
  • Press the Shift key
  • Press the left mouse button
Following the steps above, can you highlight all of the text you want, and do so faster than selecting and scrolling up or down as you select?
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 PM

One of the things I've done to work around this in the past is to type in the command, click and hold at the cursor, then hit enter to execute the command. Once it finishes, move the mouse a little and everything from the original point to the end is selected. Works beautifully in iTerm.

Unfortunately, that trick doesn't work in SecureCRT; can't hit enter while the mouse key is depressed. Little frustrating.

I did just try an alternative though. While you can't hit enter, you can use page up/page down or ctrl-page up/ctrl-page down to scroll through the buffer while the mouse button is held down. Get to the area you want, then move the mouse a bit and you'll see the highlight appear. Everything from the original click to there is selected.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the post, cmyers. In my previous post I listed several steps which describe the fastest way to select text in every program I've tried on Windows, including SecureCRT. The steps can be simplified:
  • Point the mouse at the place where you want to begin selecting text
  • Click the mouse (not hold, just click)
  • Scroll up or down to where you want to end the selection
  • Click the mouse while holding the Shift key
Has anybody else tried these steps and had any success, or had better experience with other steps?
Old 04-23-2011, 12:00 AM

I missed the click but not hold. I'm used to that setting cursor position and messing with subsequent typing.

Works well, except it does a double copy on the shift-click to complete. I have auto-copy on select enabled, and I'm guessing that operation has it's own copy as well. Double copy wouldn't be a problem in most cases, but I'm using the clipboard manager feature of Launchbar. Two copy commands in a row means append to current clipboard. So instead of just getting what was just selected into the clipboard, I get what was there originally + what was just selected.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:25 AM

Good point about Copy on select, in Global Options / Terminal. When Copy on select is enabled the text will be copied to the Windows Clipboard as soon as it's selected, so there's no reason to copy the text again. This feature is very easy (for me) to become accustomed to, and then wish that every program had!

So, point and click, then shift-click, with Copy on select enabled, is the fastest way to copy text?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:48 PM

It definitely seems to be. Unfortunately I can't use it until the 2nd automatic copy is disabled since it creates two copies on my clipboard.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:00 PM

Thanks for clarifying. Third party apps that automatically copy text or manage the clipboard can create interesting interactions. This is the first time I've heard of double text, but it's also the first time I've heard of a clipboard manager type of product on Mac OS X.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:51 PM

6.7.0 build 137 seems to be doing this slightly differently. Or maybe I'm confused.

Could have sworn that, following your instructions, I could click on the command line to set a starting point, run the command to get the output, then shift-click and get everything from the original click in the scrollback buffer to the end point selected and copied. Now, it seems like the starting (or ending) point of the selection is the last line of output. Have to scroll back up the buffer to find what I want and then shift-click to select it all.

Did the behavior change between 6.6 and 6.7, or am I just confused again?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:45 AM

When I try SecureCRT 6.7.0 build 164 (beta 5) release it seems to be selecting text in the way you're wanting to:
  • Click to set a mark point
  • Run command
  • Shift-click to select text
It selects text from the mark point to the current point. Can you try 6.7 beta 5 and see if you get better results?