Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 06-04-2015, 08:17 AM

Cross Platform Paths

Greetings All:

I'm a long time user of SecureCRT/FX and have a lot of sessions, scripts, button macros, etc. that I like to use no matter which platform I'm on. So, with the expansion to Mac and Linux I'm starting to run into file path issues. I sync my config directory to all my systems (VM's, personal desktop/laptop, work laptop, etc.) As you can imagine updating a button to use a script on a PC will break the same button on a Mac or Linux box.

Is there a way to use relative paths that work across platforms?

I've used the .\..\<path>\<path> to get some things working but this doesn't work for everything. Also ~ works on the *nix variants, but not windows.

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 08:42 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi garibaldi0,

Thanks for the post. SecureCRT 7.2 and newer does include cross-platform support for some paths. These include the configuration folder, installation folder and the documents.

If you use these folders, SecureCRT will automatically handle things. Will this work for you?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 06-04-2015, 08:48 AM

Todd,

Thanks! I don't see why I couldn't make these folders work. Just need to figure out which ones are available at which time, etc. I'll go start digging through the release notes from 7.2 on.

Thanks again!
Old 06-04-2015, 09:30 AM

Todd,

The currently available release notes only go back to the official release of 7.3. So I can't find a listing of the path variables. I think you're referring to the VDS_ variables. Is there a listing of these somewhere and where they can be used?

I've tried using both ${VDS_USER_DATA_PATH} and ${VDS_CONFIG_PATH} in a button to call a script and neither will work on any platform.

--ME
Old 06-04-2015, 10:03 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi ME,

The feature has been available since 7.2.0. You don't actually manually use the variables. SecureCRT handles the conversion using the variables automatically for things that are supported.

Now I more fully understand your goal. Currently, Button Bar definitions are not a part of the cross-platform conversions.

I have created a feature request to add support for the ability to automatically handle Button Bar definitions where scripts are used to the cross-platform capability.

If we add support for this, we will post to this thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730