Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Old 10-14-2015, 03:10 PM

why SecureCRT prompt me "Password change request"

Some of my existing SSH session when I started it and it doesn't prompt me for ssh device authentication information(device use. Instead it prompt me a "password change request".
And ask me "current password" "new password" and "confirm new password"

However, if I opened the .ini file and delete everything behind S:"password V2"=
Then I will lose my hostname. but after I re-enter "hostname" again and reconnect ssh again. Then it start to work normal again.

What "S:"password V2"=: for?

Thanks so much,
Old 10-14-2015, 04:17 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

If you're seeing a password change request, it's likely being initiated by the remote SSH server as per the SSH-2 protocol.

You can verify this by turning on Trace Options (File -> Trace Options) and then attempting your connection again, which will display protocol-level negotiation that happens between SecureCRT and the remote host.

This sort of prompting for old, new, etc. password is not something that is associated with your local SecureCRT configuration, but is likely occurring because your password on the remote host has expired (or you have a new account and it's set to prompt for a password change the first time you connect), etc.

Don't fret about the "S:Password V2" option in the .ini file... it's not related to the behavior you're describing.

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 10-14-2015, 04:34 PM

Thanks Jake,
I will find one which has problem and do the and see what happen.
However, I don't think that remote router ask to change password.
Here are the reason:
1. If I create a exact same new session, most likely I don't receive the same prompt. Instead it prompt for username/password for normal login.

2. as what said, I tried it for more than 4 sessions now and it all works.
"S:"password V2"=: The reason I tried this field is because I compare two .ini files and see what the difference. and see this filed is difference so I removed the "encryption" char behind and start it again.

Session complain the hostname loss so I renter it again then it works.

I will tried to find another session which isn't work and trace it. Will keep you posted.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:04 PM

If you've already changed the password, the remote host likely won't prompt again until it expires.

If you have a value in the Password V2 .ini field, that's a saved password that SecureCRT will send when it's time to authenticate. Perhaps that password was old/bogus, and the SSH2 server's response is to prompt you to change it.

Removing the saved password from the .ini file (which can also be done from within Session Options) results in SecureCRT not initially sending a bogus/old password, and therefore the remote server has no reason to prompt you to change it.

Let me know what else you discover.

--Jake
Old 10-14-2015, 06:38 PM

Thanks again,
So far I have resolved all the session which has problem. But soon or later it will happen again then I will let you know what I have find out
Session Options -- which choice for me to remove save password?
Old 10-15-2015, 10:14 AM

If you're running SecureCRT on the Mac, passwords are saved in Mac's Keychain, by default. However, since you mention there's actually data getting written to the .ini file, then it means you've set up SecureCRT not to use the Keychain (see attached "SCRT_Mac_GlobalOptions_UseKeychain.png")

To clear a saved password when you're not using the keychain, you simply open Session Options for the session (or sessions) you wish to modify, choose the SSH2 category, select the Password authentication method (or Keyboard Interactive, if it's enabled and not Password), and then press the Properties button. Clear the Store password option. See attached "SCRT_Mac_ClearSavedPassword.png" for visual clarification, if needed.

If you're using the keychain, you'll need to use your Mac's Keychain Access app to clear your passwords. Once you start Keychain Access, you'll want to select the login Keychain, select the Passwords category, and then use the find/search/filter (magnifying glass) field to type in the hostname or IP address (not the session name, unless it's the same as the hostname/IP) associated with the password you wish to clear. You can also search/filter by username or username@hostname for more granularity in finding the entry you wish to clear. Entries associated with SecureCRT saved passwords in the keychain will have the name of "VanDyke Software, Inc.", and the "Account" field will represent the user@host associated with the session's saved password. Right-click (Ctrl+click) the entry you wish to remove, and choose the menu item that says "Delete ..."

--Jake
Attached Images
File Type: png SCRT_Mac_GlobalOptions_UseKeychain.png (91.0 KB, 511 views)
File Type: png SCRT_Mac_ClearSavedPassword.png (145.0 KB, 533 views)