Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Old 02-27-2015, 07:46 AM

Environment not cleared in 7.3.1 when opening local shell

Hi,

I have been using SecureCRT 7.0.0 up until recently but due to incompatibilities with Yosemite, I upgraded to 7.3.1 to evaluate whether that version fixes the problems I have with the old version, so that I'd know if it makes sense to renew my license for the full version of the upgrade.

Unfortunately, the current handling of opening the local shell (using CMD+L) breaks any scripting I have. Developer tools (make, cmake, etc.) that are not in the /bin:/usr/bin/:/usr/sbin etc. basic PATH are not found at all.

I restored the 7.0.0 version through TimeMachine into a different folder and ran the two versions in parallel. Both use the same config files, of course, however, I have tested the new version with blank config (by deleting Default.ini in Sessions and Global.ini so that they get recreated), and that didn't change anything.

My default shell is zsh. However, for instance, Apache Ant uses a wrapper that uses 'sh' via she-bang (#!/usr/bin/sh). This is where the problems begin (both times I open the local shell via CMD + L):

in v7.0.0:

[ 15:38:15 ] [ ~ ] ➜ env | grep PATH
PATH=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin:/Users/abg/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p125/bin:/Users/abg/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p125@global/bin:/Users/abg/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p125/bin:/Users/abg/.rvm/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

[ 15:38:38 ] [ ~ ] ➜ sh
sh-3.2$ echo $PATH
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin:/Users/abg/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p125/bin:/Users/abg/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p125@global/bin:/Users/abg/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p125/bin:/Users/abg/.rvm/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
sh-3.2$

in v7.3.1:

[ 15:37:10 ] [ ~ ] ➜ env | grep PATH
PATH=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin:/Users/abg/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p125/bin:/Users/abg/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p125@global/bin:/Users/abg/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p125/bin:/Users/abg/.rvm/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

[ 15:39:27 ] [ ~ ] ➜ sh
sh-3.2$ echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
sh-3.2$

As you can see, in 7.3.1, I have:

1. Two different instances of the PATH variable in the same environment
2. Probably because the subshell gets the second set of PATH, the 'sh' only has the default pathes and all my build tools are unreachable via 'path' in the subshell.

It seems that this is not a Yosemite-specific problem but rather something in the way the new version opens the local shell (probably how the environment variables are handled when invoking the shell programmatically).

More facts:

- Using Terminal.app to open a local shell works. My $PATH contains the non-standard pathes I add in my .profile etc. scripts.
- iTerm2 v1.0 had the same problem SecureCRT has now. iTerm2 v2.0 fixed that issue for many people who reported that bug in iTerm2.

I have tried to set a "Pre-connect" command / Local shell command both in
1. Global options -> Connection -> protocol: local shell / name: default -> Pre-Connect -> login -f $USER
2. The same setting in Session Options

The command I used would open a login shell without preserving the environment variables of the invoking process.

Neither setting will stick (I didn't want to modify 'all' sessions though, when I asked, just the default one).

Regards,

Adam

Last edited by Adam Burg; 02-27-2015 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Correction: The previous version I was using is 7.0.0, not 6.3
Old 02-27-2015, 08:50 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hello Adam,

The *current official release* (as of February 26) is v7.3.2, but in my tests, the results are the same.

I have submitted this behavior for investigation by the development team. Should progress be made toward a resolution, or further information be requested, I will post in this thread.

If you prefer direct e-mail notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Bug Report - Forum Thread #11897" in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 03-27-2015, 03:13 AM

Hi,

is there any progress regarding this issue? My evaluation period is expiring and this problem is really annoying in my daily work.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Adam
Old 03-27-2015, 08:59 AM
VanDyke Product Director

Hi Adam,

We haven't had a chance to look at this yet. I'm hoping we can get to it next week. We can extend your evaluation if necessary.

Maureen
Old 03-30-2015, 02:23 AM

Hi Maureen,

I will go back to 7.0.x for now, as that works as required in this regard. Thanks for the offer, but extending the evaluation would not fix my problem, after all. Please notify me if the problem is fixed (or well, even if it won't be fixed).

Thanks,

Adam
Old 04-07-2015, 11:56 AM

Hello Adam,

There is a new build available the development team believes resolves the reported issue.

Please contact us at support@vandyke.com and reference "Forum Thread #11897" in the subject line.

If not writing us from the email address associated with your download account, please provide the email address associated with it (if you have one). If you do not have one, we will provide information on how to create it, but since there will be no prior installers to pattern-match by, please indicate if you prefer:
  • integrated or non-integrated installer

• .dmg or .tar.gz installer

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 04-13-2015, 03:12 AM

Hi Brenda,

thanks for the fix. It seems to be helping, there is now only a single PATH variable in the environment and all my build scripts working again!

Thanks,

Adam
Old 04-13-2015, 07:55 AM

Hi Adam,

Thanks for posting an update. That fix will be included in the next official release of SecureCRT.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730