Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 02-04-2005, 07:27 AM

What is the best way to save session info when using multiple computers?

We purchased a volume license for SecureCRT and SecureFX at our site, and I'd like to be able to sit down at any machine and have access to my session data. What's the best way to do this? Group Policy with folder redirection for Application Data? Roaming Profiles (not a big fan of this, since we have mix of win2k pro, win2kas, winxp, win2k3 and I have found that a RP makes a mess of my Start Menu). It looks like the session data is stored under %APPDATA%, so I need to make sure this data is accessible to any system I log in to.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:36 AM

if you map a network drive and store the profile there, you can launch securecrt with a commandline parameter to find the profile on this network drive.

Not sure what will happen in a multi-user environment, though...
Old 02-04-2005, 02:40 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

> I'd like to be able to sit down at any machine and have
> access to my session data.

It doesn't look like you are trying to share a common configuration among many different users. Is this correct?

%AppData% is the default location where SecureCRT stores global/session configuration data. This can be changed by modifying the "Configuration folder" option in Global Options under the Options/Advanced category.

I store my configuration on a network drive that is accessible on every machine that I need to log on to.

Then I change the "Configuration folder" in Global Options/Options/Advanced to point to my network location, for example:
\\server\share\user\VanDyke\SecureCRT\Config
Users can copy their current "Config" folder from their local machine to the location on the file server and then each time they log on to a new machine, if it has not been done already, the global configuration can be changed to point to the network location.

As an alternative to having to manually configure SecureCRT to point to the network location, I suppose an administrator could create a logon script that would create a shortcut to SecureCRT on the user's desktop that would use the /F <config_folder> option to point to a pre-set folder in the user's network location in an attempt to automate the process for all users.

Also, instead of using the /F option, you could simply tweak the following REGSZ value in the registry to point to the network location where each user's personal configuration would be copied/moved:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VanDyke\SecureCRT\Global\Config Path
Does this information help to answer your question?
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support