Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Old 09-17-2020, 02:44 AM

Angry Button bar frustrations

Hi
I am a long time user of SecureCRT and have the latest and greatest on my MAC. The only thing I dislike is the button bar at the bottom-maybe I am being thick but is there any way to "pin" the button bar (at the expense of screen real estate) so I don't have to move my mouse oh so carefully, every time I want to go beyond the first line of buttons?
It causes me no end of frustration-I want to (if I can have the choice) of the button bar being on screen all of the time-and locked into place.
?

Thanks

cabs
Old 09-17-2020, 08:04 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi cabsandy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabsandy View Post
I want to (if I can have the choice) of the button bar being on screen all of the time-and locked into place.
Thanks for asking! Unfortunately, there is not a way to "pin" the button bar to a specified location so all of the buttons constantly show.

I personally find that (on macOS, at least) having the Button Bar pinned to the top of the SecureCRT window makes accessing the extra buttons a bit easier. You can make this change by navigating to the Terminal > Appearance category of Global Options and setting the Show button bar on: option to "top". Does this make using the Button Bar any easier for you?

Alternatively, the Command Manager was recently implemented in a pre-release version of SecureCRT for macOS. You can copy all of the buttons from the current Button Bars to the Command Manager, and the Command Manager can be either be locked to a side of the SecureCRT window, auto-hidden or set as a floating window
(the same way the Session Manager currently does).

Should you desire to test out this feature, please send an email to support@vandyke.com with the subject line: Attn: Forum Thread 14289 - Command Manager and state in the body that you wish to try out the Command Window in the pre-release version of SecureCRT.

For those of you who do wish to test out this option and copy your Button Bars into the Command Manager, below is a simple image showing how this can be accomplished:

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by cboyack; 09-17-2020 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Further information
Old 09-17-2020, 02:44 PM

Thumbs up

I think it hit a bug-I had a button bar with 3 rows of buttons-and once I quite SCRT, I could get to the 3rd row. Moving to the top is a bit better so will use that so thanks-and will take up the offer of the beta release-that looks like it could be useful

cheers
cabs
Old 09-18-2020, 08:27 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi cabsandy,

What you describe as a "3rd row" in the Button Bar is actually what's called the overflow area. When you hit those arrows on the right, the "overflow" opens up and displays in the form of extra lines on macOS, which can be tricky to use when it's configured to do so on the bottom of the screen.

This is one of many reasons behind the implementation of the Command Manager, which is a much more versatile tool than the Button Bar.

Again, should you desire to take us up on the offer of the pre-release version, please send an email to support@vandyke.com with the subject line: Attn: Forum Thread 14289 - Command Manager and state in the body that you wish to try out the Command Window in the pre-release version of SecureCRT.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730