Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 09-14-2020, 07:35 AM

Inheritance

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to force a session to inherit the settings that I have previously applied to a subfolder.

For example, in the attached picture I create the subfolder "ADTRAN" and added a bunch of sessions to it. I went back later to add in "R23" and it did not inherit the settings from it's parent folder.

VDS: Please see this post for information on how to embed attachments in your forum post.
Attached Images
File Type: png R23 View.png (11.5 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by cboyack; 09-14-2020 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Image attachment
Old 09-14-2020, 09:58 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sussington View Post
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to force a session to inherit the settings that I have previously applied to a subfolder.

For example, in the attached picture I create the subfolder "ADTRAN" and added a bunch of sessions to it. I went back later to add in "R23" and it did not inherit the settings from it's parent folder.
Folders themselves don't have any configuration settings.

When you first right-click on a folder in the session manager to edit its properties, you'll see a message clearly indicating that the settings shown are for the first session in the folder, and that changes can be applied to other sessions in the same folder.

If you've done this before and indicated you don't want to see this message, then you won't see the info.
How you can apply changes to multiple sessions in a folder
As highlighted in the graphic above, you can apply changes to all sessions in a folder, but it can be arduous if you're planning to modify a *lot* of session configuration settings. But, if it's just one or two options you want to make sure is set a specific way, it should work OK for you (better than editing each session individually):
  1. Edit the first session in the folder such that the options you want configured are *not* set to the desired value.
    NOTE: The reason for doing this is that we need to have a change to apply. If the option is already set to the desired value, there won't be any change to apply to the other sessions in the folder.
  2. Once the first session in the folder has been modified to have *undesired* values, right-click on the containing folder and choose Properties.
    If you have not already indicated that SecureCRT should not display this message again, you should see an indication of the number of sessions you're about to edit.
  3. Change the targeted options to the desired values. Now that there is a change to apply to other sessions, there will be some modifications to apply to other sessions in the same folder.

4. Press the OK button. SecureCRT will recognize the changed option values and apply those changes to the remaining sessions in the same folder.

Restoring the informational warning
If you want to restore the information message, edit the Global.ini file in SecureCRT's configuration folder.

Copy a Session
Another way you can "inherit" configurations is to copy an existing session already in the folder, rename it, and then edit those options that you want to be different from the original.

Feature request?
Now, if you have some time to explore further, and since sessions residing in a folder do not "inherit" settings from a containing folder because the folder has no associated configuration settings...
  • If you were to "inherit" options from a folder, which options would you *not* want to inherit?
  • How would you envision being able to specify which options should *not* (or perhaps *should*) be inherited from the containing folder?

--Jake
Attached Images
File Type: png SessionOptions_Multiple_OnlyChangesGetAppliedToAll.png (135.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: png SCRT_Multi-Session-Edit-Prompt.png (30.1 KB, 72 views)
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 09-14-2020, 03:14 PM

I appreciate this information Jake. I ended up doing the copy session option and just filled in the appropriate IP and naming scheme needed for the new session.

As for a feature request. I know this may differ from user to user but features I personally would like to see *inherited* from a parent would be simple stuff like Appearance, Mapped Keys and Logon Actions.

I would imagine you could check a box in the properties that would say "inherit from parent" that would issue a one-time command that copies all properties/settings from the folder (subfolder in my case) then after applying/hitting ok could then make more minor adjustments to each individual session if needed.

I understand some of this could be easily done by editing the global properties that would then apply to all future added sessions, but why not give each subfolder its own "global properties" that include all of the properties that each session would have?
Old 09-14-2020, 03:48 PM

Sussington,

Thanks for the info. I've recorded your feature request.

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 10-08-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sussington View Post
I understand some of this could be easily done by editing the global properties that would then apply to all future added sessions, but why not give each subfolder its own "global properties" that include all of the properties that each session would have?
I second this suggestion!
Old 10-08-2020, 01:37 PM

Hi scottmlew,

I have captured another request on your behalf for this functionality. We will be sure to notify you here if this functionality becomes available in a future release.

If you prefer direct notification, please send an email to support@vandyke.com, with "Feature Request, Forum Thread #14282" as the subject.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730