Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 08-05-2012, 09:29 AM

Page Up and Page down Function

Good morning....

I am using SCRT ver 7 to ssh to an Ubuntu 12 machine and am having trouble with the pgup and pgdn keys. Normally in a Linux session if I use the keys, it goes to either the end or beginning of the bash history. All I get with the Ubuntu session is a bell.

I have the terminal and keyboard set to Linux emulation as I do in other Linux sessions in which the keys function to scroll through the bash history.

I tried mapping the keys to the following but it did not change the behavior:
PageUp = \033[5~
PageDown = \033[6~

Anyway, I know it's a small thing but I thought I would put it out there just in case. I use the function all the time when scrolling through the history in combination with the up and down arrow keys...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ed
Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Ed,

Quote:
I have the terminal and keyboard set to Linux emulation as I do in other Linux sessions in which the keys function to scroll through the bash history.
How do these other (working) sessions differ from this session where the keys do not function properly? (ie: what other target remote operating systems)

I was surprised to read you are using Linux emulation. When connecting to Unix/Linux remote systems, typically you will see the best behavior with regards to keymaps and display when using Xterm emulation.

When I do the "cat -v" test as described in the SecureCRT Help topic Configuring the Keyboard / Determine Escape Sequence Key Codes, the resulting output of PgUp/PgDown is what you are attemping to map manually (^[[5~ and ^[[6~). So at least as a last resort, I would expect that to work, but I do not have an Ubuntu 12 machine to test against.

If you change the emulation in the Terminal / Emulation category of SecureCRT's Session Options, then disconnect/reconnect, what are the results?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 AM

Brenda,

I have an older Fedora 6 machine (the old "If it ain't broke" rule) setup the way I described.

I tried setting the connection using Xterm with no alternative keyboard, Xterm with both Xterm and Linux alternative keyboard and as Xterm, no alternative keyboard and the key mappings you described but nothing gives me the same function as I get with the Fedora set up.

However, I should have checked a session sitting at the server. The page up and page down do not work in a terminal there as they do sitting in front of the Fedora server so I assume it is not going to behave any differently using any other type of connection.

Thanks for the reply...

Ed
Old 08-06-2012, 11:26 AM

Hi Ed,

Please note that an emulation change requires a disconnect/reconnect. Sorry I failed to mention this in the prior post.

Quote:
However, I should have checked a session sitting at the server. The page up and page down do not work in a terminal there as they do sitting in front of the Fedora server so I assume it is not going to behave any differently using any other type of connection.
It sounds like the default keymaps in the bash shell have changed on Ubuntu 12.

Here is a link that has some additional information about the issue you are facing. It looks like there are a couple lines you may need to "uncomment" in the /etc/inputrc file.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 08-06-2012, 09:50 PM

Brenda,

I learned something new today. Did not know that file existed.

# mappings for "page up" and "page down" to step to the beginning/end
# of the history
"\e[5~": beginning-of-history
"\e[6~": end-of-history

This is exactly what I was looking for. I never thought to search for the shell, just SCRT. Thanks!

Ed
Old 08-07-2012, 08:54 AM

Hi Ed,

Sure, you are welcome.

Quote:
I learned something new today. Did not know that file existed.
We both did. I did not know it either.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730