Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 09-02-2014, 02:25 PM

Intermittent issue, control characters showing, driving me batty

I'm using a paid/registered version of SecureCRT 7.3.0 x64 Build 597

I have closed all windows, and have rebooted.

Still the issue persists.

I ssh into multiple servers I control. I have at any given time (right now for example) 12 sessions open.

All are ubuntu linux. All are using a common profile. Linux terminal emulation. ANSI color checked. UTF-8 character encoding, with 'Use Unicode graphics' checked.

Some of these servers, I will be in the middle of working, and suddenly, previously working control keys stop working. Arrow keys and control keys are the big ones. Ctrl-c is the worst.

Instead of breaking, backspacing, etc they start printing ^C (and ^H and all the others we know and love). Instead of moving the cursor about, I get, if I remember correctly (because I cannot for the life of me get it to happen right now, of course) ]]A and ]]B for arrow keys. Or maybe ^]]A - that looks right.

Whats funny is if at the command line, I hit up, up, enter, it WORKS, but the display is borked.

For example, lets assume this is my command history:

cd /
grep 'something' *.cpp
cd ..

If I were to hit up, up, enter, while this was happening, the screen would show:

myprompt# ^]]A^]]A
grep 'something' *.cpp (it prints out the command AFTER hitting enter)

Grep output would be here...

So the terminal KNOWS I'm sending up arrows. Its just not showing them.

But even worse - if I'm in an editor that requires control keys - like Joe - thats the editor I've used for years - I'm stuck. And cant get out of it. control C just prints ^C and ctrl-k x which is the normal exit procedure actually prints ^K instead of sending the command.

The ONLY way out is to File->Disconnect then reconnect the session.

It seems to happen on 3 servers more than others, but I'm almost positive that its happened on all of them. I've tried everything. Terminal resets. Different emulation modes. UTF8 on and off. It still happens.

Does ANYONE have ANY CLUE what could be causing this? I've been a securecrt user for YEARS. 10+. I've never had this happen before.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:19 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hello InfernusDoleo,

The current 7.3 beta release is build 611 (beta 2), but I don't expect that to resolve the intermittent issues reported. It's just an FYI.

What platform/OS is SecureCRT 7.3 installed on?

Have you always used Linux emulation to these Ubuntu Linux remote systems?

What are the results if you configure Xterm emulation? (Note that an emulation change requires a disconnect/reconnect.)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-02-2014, 03:45 PM

Its Windows 8 64 bit.

Next time this happens I'll try changing to xterm and see what happens.

AFAIK I've always used either Linux or ANSI emulation. Cant remember ever using xterm, unless it was ages ago (On my Pentium I)
Old 09-02-2014, 04:55 PM

Hi InfernusDoleo,

Thanks for the clarification.

If these are configured sessions you have used for a very long time under the same circumstances, I doubt the issue is just one of configuration.

However, there is one other configuration option I can think of at the moment that can cause issues similar to what you are describing.

Is Emacs mode enabled? (Session Options / Terminal / Emulation / Emacs)

Probably the best way to determine the issue will be to get a raw log.
NOTICE: The requested troubleshooting data may include sensitive information (usernames, passwords, publicly-accessible host names or IP addresses, etc.).

Please redact sensitive information that would not be appropriate for email communication prior to sending the requested information.

If there is sensitive information that must be conveyed in order to provide a complete picture of the scenario you're facing, please let us know and we will set up a secure upload mechanism that can be used.

To create a raw log:
  • Before connecting with the session, select Raw Log Session from SecureCRT's File menu.

• In the Select Log File dialog, choose a folder and filename in which you would like the log text to be stored and press the Save button. At this point, if you open the File menu, you will notice that the Raw Log Session menu item now has a check-mark next to it; this indicates that raw logging is activated.

• Now connect to the remote machine and perform the actions that cause the behavior.

• Disconnect the session and select Raw Log Session from the File menu to turn off the raw logging feature.

Please reference "Attn Brenda - Forum Thread #11675" in the subject line of the email.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-02-2014, 05:28 PM

Is it possible to turn the raw log on AFTER it starts happening? Its completely random and hasn't happened all day. I'd rather not have everything I do for days logged just to find it. I do have sensitive info being passed across the SSH channel I cant just email out.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:10 AM

Hello InfernusDoleo,

You can, but we will need at least some of these issues to occur during the time you are capturing. Also, since it may be difficult to "find our place" in the session, please try to take note of what was happening at the time (ie: had been working at the shell, ^C caused the print instead of interrupting, enabled raw logging and then [ ... issue occurred ... ]).

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730