Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 PM

SecureCRT for Mac OS X - how to uninstall?

Hi,

I downloaded the disk image for Mac OS/X, and was surprised to see that it's a guided install (i.e. you can't just copy it to the Applications directory).

This immediately brought pause.

If I choose to uninstall the product, how do I go about doing that? I saw no mention of this in the release notes, or the forums, or anywhere else.

Thanks!

/Jeff
Old 08-04-2010, 11:42 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hello Jeff,

You would just delete the SecureCRT subfolder from the Applications folder to uninstall on Mac OS X.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our development database to implement an easy uninstall for the Mac version of SecureCRT. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct e-mail notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #5913" in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 08-04-2010, 12:20 PM

Please clarify this.

Normally, if you only install a bundle under applications, then you just include a bundle, and it gets "dragged" to applications to get installed. This is the "normal" way to install 90%+ of packages on the Mac.

An installation package (what you have) is typically used when you need to have files in several different places (some stuff under Applications, some stuff elsewhere). I've written packages that implemented daemons, and to do that, I needed to have launchd start up the daemon upon system boot (plus my code had dependencies of where stuff lived, and that wasn't completely under Applications).

So my question is: Do you have an installation package that solely installs a bundle under Applications?

If yes: That's pretty wierd, and you probably shouldn't be doing that (that's contrary to the installation standards on Mac OS/X).

If no: I'd like a list of what you install, and where, so that I can properly clean up if I opt to not keep SecureCRT installed on my Mac. On Windows, you have a proper uninstall. On Mac, you don't. That's fine, as long as I have the information to do it myself should I choose to uninstall.

Please let me know - I will not install the BETA without this information. It's not acceptable to me to repave my Mac OS/X platform because SecureCRT doesn't have an uninstaller on the Mac platform (unless you're only installing a bundle under Applications).

Thanks,

/Jeff
Old 08-04-2010, 04:42 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Please clarify this.

Normally, if you only install a bundle under applications, then you just include a bundle, and it gets "dragged" to applications to get installed. This is the "normal" way to install 90%+ of packages on the Mac.

An installation package (what you have) is typically used when you need to have files in several different places (some stuff under Applications, some stuff elsewhere). I've written packages that implemented daemons, and to do that, I needed to have launchd start up the daemon upon system boot (plus my code had dependencies of where stuff lived, and that wasn't completely under Applications).

So my question is: Do you have an installation package that solely installs a bundle under Applications?
Currently, yes. We wanted the installer to display the end user license agreement and we're considering installing some example Python scripts.

Quote:
If yes: That's pretty wierd, and you probably shouldn't be doing that (that's contrary to the installation standards on Mac OS/X).

If no: I'd like a list of what you install, and where, so that I can properly clean up if I opt to not keep SecureCRT installed on my Mac. On Windows, you have a proper uninstall. On Mac, you don't. That's fine, as long as I have the information to do it myself should I choose to uninstall.

Please let me know - I will not install the BETA without this information. It's not acceptable to me to repave my Mac OS/X platform because SecureCRT doesn't have an uninstaller on the Mac platform (unless you're only installing a bundle under Applications).
If you want to remove all SecureCRT-related files, you will also want to delete the following directory that's created when SecureCRT is run for the first time:

/Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/VanDyke/SecureCRT

Maureen

Quote:
Thanks,

/Jeff
Old 08-04-2010, 04:46 PM

Smile

Thanks very much for your patient, detailed answer. I appreciate it!

/Jeff
Old 08-05-2010, 04:13 AM

I agree with Jeff, would much rather see standard Mac drag to applications folder style of installation. Not a deal breaker for me though.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:50 AM
VanDyke Product Director

Thanks for the feedback. We are planning to look into this for the next version.

Maureen
Old 10-03-2011, 06:29 PM
VanDyke Product Director

A drag and drop installer for Mac OS X has been implemented in a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. If you would be interested in trying it, please send e-mail to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen