Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 04-04-2011, 07:14 AM

SecureCRT initial startup/launch time > 26 seconds

Greetings all,

I'm a long-time SecureCRT user currently on ver 6.6.2 (build 350) and for the past six months or so have been experiencing painfully slow startup/launch times in the neighborhood of 26-28 seconds before the Connect Dialog window appears. A colleague has been complaining of the same.

We're using Dell Lattitude D630 laptops with 32-bit XP pro sp3, core 2 duo 2.20 GHz cpu & 3.50 GB RAM, and 5371 MB paging file, and encrypted 150 GB hard drives, approximately 60% full.

All of my configurations are local; nothing is stored on any network drives.
I'm not saving expanded folder states or sorting connect dialog entries, nor am I saving window states for each session.

My "Sessions" folder contains 1614 files and 225 folders and 12.MB in size (16.9 on disk).

I'm really not sure if it's any single thing that's contributing to this but it's definately getting increasingly worse over time, and seems to be related to the number of sessions, because the more I add the slower it gets.

I've seen a few old posts about this and even a feature request to improve startup times but to my knowledge, haven't seen any resolution yet.

We support thousands of systems and our number of sessions will only continue to grow. We all love SecureCRT but the startup time is killing us. We're already accustomed to less-than-typical PC performance because of our hard-disk encryption, and a few seconds wouldn't matter, but almost 30? There's gotta be something wrong.

Can anyone here provide any guidance or help? Any info is sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:47 AM

Quick update - Sessions folder *not* a factor...

Hello again,

Just wanted to provide another data point. I suspected that the number of defined sessions and folders within the Sessions folder was contributing to the slowness. I was wrong.

I did a little experiment and renamed the Sessions folder to Sessions.orig, then created an empty folder named Sessions. Then launched SecureCRT again and timed it with an empty Sessions folder. No change. 26 seconds. So I closed it and opened it again..... repeatedly. Same results. So apparently that's not where the time is being spent.

Regards,

Mike
Old 04-04-2011, 09:20 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the question and data point. We have seen slowness when displaying the Connect Dialog in the past when an old printer is defined. If you rename the Global.ini file, do you still see the slowness?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 04-04-2011, 01:07 PM

Definately Global.ini

Hi,

Well, I renamed it and now it launches almost instantly. But, I didn't have *any* printers defined. I just ripped out all the printer-related stuff from Global.ini and now it's back to being as speedy as ever. Thank you very, VERY much!

-- Mike
Old 04-04-2011, 01:47 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear that this issue is resolved.

With regards to the resolution and if you have a chance, when you deleted the printer related stuff, did you see an old network printer that no longer exists listed in the Global.ini file, or were all of the lines that you deleted blank?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 AM

Neither, actually.

None of the lines that I deleted were blank, nor did any contain references to old network printers. I only had one printer defined but it was a current one.

I still have both files if you'd like to compare and see what I deleted.

--mike
Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 AM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the update. If you would send the old and new Global.ini files to support@vandyke.com with a subject of Attn: Todd - thread #7289, that would be helpful.

We suspect that for some reason, SecureCRT was having difficulty communicating with the defined printer which was causing the delay. I have created a feature request in our SecureCRT development database to add the ability to avoid this delay in a future release. Should a future release of SecureCRT have this capability, we will post to this forum thread. If you would like to be notified directly should this feature be implemented, please add that to your e-mail.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 12-01-2016, 08:37 AM
VanDyke Product Director

We have a build that should address this problem. If you'd like to try it, please send email to Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen
Old 02-19-2018, 09:00 PM

SecureCRT7.3 slow to start

I recently started having the same problem of slow startup of SecureCRT7.3 and SecureFX7.3. I completely removed the contents of the Config directory and started from scratch. Same problem. So I don't think the printer thing is an issue. I also redirected the Config to a different directory with the /F switch from the command line. Same result.

What do you suggest I look for now? Is there an update to 7.3 I can download? (I have the combined SecureCRT/SecureFX 7.3 software license.)

As for environment, I'm running a Lenovo P50 with W10, 16GB of RAM and 500GB SSD. Let me know if there is something else I can collect to help you identify the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Beau
Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 AM

Hi Beau,

The 26 seconds is the time it takes SecureCRT to open?

Even with a new, default (empty) config?
Quote:
I recently started having the same problem of slow startup of SecureCRT7.3 and SecureFX7.3.
What changes occurred around the time where you first noticed the issue?

We will probably need to collect more info, please send an email to support@vandyke.com and reference Attn Brenda - Forum Thread #7289 in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730