Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 AM

Thumbs up Skydrive / Dopbox Support for saving / sharing sessions

I think the title sums it up, but we'd love to see some type of, ugh I hate saying it, "cloud" storage option with syncing so we can have our sessions saved and available everywhere!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi jspanitz,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have created a feature request in our SecureCRT enhancement database to add this type of functionality. Should a future release of SecureCRT have some method to synchronize sessions across multiple installations, we will post to this forum thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspanitz View Post
I think the title sums it up, but we'd love to see some type of, ugh I hate saying it, "cloud" storage option with syncing so we can have our sessions saved and available everywhere!
You can do this now, you just have to explicitly tell SecureCRT to use the appropriate directory.

First, copy the local SecureCRT configuration and sessions from their current location to someplace inside the synchronized directory. After that is done, launch SecureCRT and go into Options / Global Options.
1) In the General category, set "Configuration folder" to be inside the synchronized directory
2) In SSH Host Keys, set the "Host key database location" to be inside the synchronized directory.

You do have to manually update the configuration folder and host key database location on each machine one time. After that though, synchronized session goodness is yours to enjoy.

Also, something to note is that you can use variables in the above fields. So if the location of the shared area is slightly different on different systems you could use a variable instead. For example, for the configuration folder you could create an environment variable like this:
SCRT_Home=c:\Dropbox\SecureCRT\

Inside SecureCRT, in the Configuration folder field you could then use "%SCRT_Home%". The same technique should also work for the SSH Host keys, but there was a bug in many versions were it didn't. 7.0.1 was fixed so you can use a variable there as well.

Using the variable technique is admittedly a bit of work to set up but works remarkably well when using SecureCRT across multiple platforms.

Cheers!

-Chad
Old 11-19-2012, 04:09 AM

Security and the cloud...

The request may be valid - personally I do not trust the cloud to be secure in the slightest. Using SecureCRT for the cloud is like using a secret door in your house that comes out in the middle of a busy 24-hour shopping centre.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:47 AM

Valid point, but there are a couple simple things you can do for protection.
1) Don't store your credentials (user, password) in the session file.
2) Don't store the ssh private key(s) in Dropbox. Instead keep the private key local on each machine. And use password authentication for the key file.
3) Protect the hosts / devices themselves with filters that only allow access from known addresses.

It's a tradeoff. If you only work on one machine the value of cloud storage of the sessions is minimal and there is little reason to use it. It is when you use multiple machines that cloud storage becomes useful. Synchronizing two systems can be done manually, although it's annoying. As the number of machines you use increases beyond two though manual synchronization rapidly becomes unwieldy and cloud storage is a far better, and in some cases safer, synchronization method.

And yes, I do mean safer. If the address for a device changes and I update the session on my desktop, without something like Dropbox only the desktop has the valid information. When I get called in the middle of the night regarding a problem on that device at a later date, a lot of time is wasted simply trying to track down what the new address is for the device before I can even start to look at the actual problem.

Admittedly, not a really big issue if you are using DNS. However, that is really only viable for host systems since they typically only have one address. When working with routers or switches though each device has multiple addresses, most of which are highly unlikely to be in DNS. Even if they were in DNS, it would require remembering multiple DNS names in order to get to each specific address. Might be possible in a small network with only a few devices, but in a larger network with a few hundred devices it simply isn't possible.

By using something like Dropbox to store the session files I will always have the most current version of the session files regardless of what machine I am on at any point in time. That means when there is a problem I can immediately start troubleshooting instead of wasting time simply trying figure out where I need to go. And by using the simple security precautions I outlined at the top there is little, if any, added risk of someone being able to gain access to the device.

All that said, if you don't want to put your sessions on a cloud storage provider then you shouldn't be forced to. The option should still be available though.

Cheers!

-Chad
Old 01-22-2013, 04:56 AM

There is one more option that you can use if you are not comfortable with any of the "cloud" storage, you can use BoxEncryptor to encrypt it on your drive, they great thing about BoxEncryptor is that it encrypts each file separately, whereas some of the other options create a huge volume that has to be synced each time it is changed.

I will post later my setup for sharing all of the SecurCRT settings across OSx and Windows using BoxEncryptor and Dropbox.