Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > File Transfer

Old 06-05-2015, 09:28 AM

SecureFX PGP options

Hi,

I am trying to configure the PGP options in a SecureFX session but there is not much documentation on how it can be configured.

What has to be entered in the "Pre-upload command" to have the file encrypted before sending to the remote server?
I tried to enter "gpg -r <recipient> -e". It opens a gpg window at file transfer but it prints gibberish data and see "The PGP command failed (-1073741510)." in the log file.
Is there a variable or something to enter to have the file name as argument?

Is that feature also working when using the command line utility (sfxcl.exe).

Thank you,
Old 06-05-2015, 12:20 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

We're hoping to improve SecureFX's documentation for PGP functionality. In the mean time, here are a few notes:
  • If "%INPUT_PATH" appears within the PGP command, it is replaced with the input file path (the file being decrypted/encrypted/signed/verified)
  • If "%OUTPUT_PATH" is a variable that SecureFX uses that is replaced with the file resulting from the PGP operation.
  • A file named "file.txt" will end up as "file.txt.pgp" one the remote machine following PGP processing prior to the upload operation.
  • A file named "file.txt.pgp" will end up as "file.txt" on the local machine following PGP processing after the download operation.
  • When uploading files that already have a ".pgp" or a ".gpg" extension, PGP processing will be skipped.

I've included some basic pre-upload and post-download command line examples below.

A best practice would be to open up a CMD window on your SecureFX machine, and rehearse with an actual command line that will work for you to encrypt a specific file (give the full path to the file), using
the --output and --encrypt command line options with full paths to the files.

Then, once you have a command working with literal paths, take that command and copy it into your SecureFX pre-upload command and replace the literal paths with the quoted substitutions for "%OUTPUT_PATH" and "%INPUT_PATH".

Pre-upload example:
Code:
gpg.exe --recipient "Name of Recipient's Certificate" --output "%OUTPUT_PATH" --encrypt "%INPUT_PATH"
Post-download example:
Code:
gpg.exe --decrypt-files "%INPUT_PATH"

While this information isn't comprehensive, does it get you started in the right direction towards a solution to using PGP with SecureFX in your environment?

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support

Last edited by jdev; 06-11-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:30 AM

This is exactly what I needed.
It's also working with the command line utility (sfxcl.exe)

I noticed that even though I used GnuPG the uploaded file name had a .pgp extension even though it is defaulting to .gpg.
This is not a big deal we will work around that.

Thanks for your input!

Tags
encrption , gpg , pgp