Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 11-16-2010, 01:44 AM

Setting up jump hosts

Hi,

Is it possible to configure multiple jump hosts within a session so that when I click connect for that specific session, SecureCRT will go and establish the SSH connectivity to the jump hosts in the background and then finally connect to the session that I'm interested in?

A typical scenario would be something like:

My PC --> Firewall --> Jump host --> Remote device that I want to connect to.

So I'd define the remote device as a new session and tell it to reference another session to relay it's connection through using port forwarding...

Hope that makes sense!

Let me know if you have any questions.

N
Old 11-16-2010, 10:01 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi nolan.rumble,

What you want to accomplish should be possible, but not in a single session. I have created a feature request on your behalf in our SecureCRT development database to add the ability to define multiple jump hosts in a single session. Should a future release of SecureCRT have this capability, we will post to this forum thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request
With regards to how to your question, we have a tip on our website at the following location that illustrates the process:
http://www.vandyke.com/support/tips/socksproxy.html
The tip discusses using a dynamic forward, but it is possible to use a static forward, and it is also possible to chain sessions together. For example, you could connect to the firewall and establish a local forward to the jump host in the first session. You could create a second session to connect to the local forward established in the first session and create a local or dynamic forward to connect a server or multiple servers behind the jump host, and then connect through the second session to the server(s) behind the jump host.

Does this information help you accomplish your goal?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi nolan.rumble,

After discussing this situation with a colleague, we wanted to post that it is currently possible to chain sessions together rather than having to start each individual session. If the sessions are chained together, connecting the session to the initial jump point will result in a cascade of session connecting resulting in a session connecting to the intended end point.

To accomplish this, you will need to use the Application section of the Local Port Forwarding Properties dialog. The application to launch would be SecureCRT, and the arguments would be as follows:
Code:
/T /S "<session name>"
In your case, the Firewall Local Port Forwarding Properties dialog would launch SecureCRT starting the Jump Host session. The Jump Host Local Port Forwarding Properties would then launch SecureCRT starting the Remote Device session.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolan.rumble View Post
Hi,

Is it possible to configure multiple jump hosts within a session so that when I click connect for that specific session, SecureCRT will go and establish the SSH connectivity to the jump hosts in the background and then finally connect to the session that I'm interested in?

A typical scenario would be something like:

My PC --> Firewall --> Jump host --> Remote device that I want to connect to.

So I'd define the remote device as a new session and tell it to reference another session to relay it's connection through using port forwarding...

Hope that makes sense!

Let me know if you have any questions.

N
This functionality has been implemented in a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. If you would be interested in trying it, please send e-mail to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen