Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 11-07-2018, 02:57 PM

Newbie:SecureFX msg: the host key database does not contain an entry for the hostname

Hello,
I'm new in using the SecureFX tool.
I am getting this error message when connecting to my FTP site: the host key database does not contain an entry for the hostname

Also getting this from log:
i Changing state from STATE_NEWKEYS_RECEIVED to STATE_CONNECTION
i RECV: SERVICE_ACCEPT[ssh-userauth] -- OK
i SENT : USERAUTH_REQUEST [none]
i RECV : SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_BANNER
i RECV : USERAUTH_FAILURE, continuations [publickey,password,gssapi-with-mic]
i SENT : USERAUTH_REQUEST [password]
i RECV : AUTH_SUCCESS
! 00082: The user DOMAIN\XXXXXXXXXXXXX does not have any roots specified; the channel is being closed

I did a search online and could not find a solution... I checked all folder permissions and FTP permissions - I the test user have rights to it. Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:36 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi abeadriano,

What operating system are you running SecureFX on and what version of SecureFX are you running?

Anytime you connect to a new host with SecureFX you will see the message that you described, "The host key database does not contain an entry for the hostname...". This should only be the case until you verify the host key and select "Accept & Save".

Are you saying that you see the prompt to accept and save the host key every time that you connect to this particular host?

Can you expand on what you meant when you said that you "checked all folder permissions and FTP permissions" ? Did you check your user permissions on your "Known Hosts" folder located in your Config folder, for example?

The "The user DOMAIN\XXXXXXXXXXXXX does not have any roots specified; the channel is being closed" error message indicates that your user account does not have access to the file system on the remote that you are connecting to.

It would be helpful to take a look at the complete log. Would it be possible for you to attach the log in its entirety to an email to support@vandyke.com, with Attn: Brittney, Forum Post 13312 in the subject field?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-08-2018, 09:17 AM

Hi Brittney

below are my responses:

What operating system are you running SecureFX on and what version of SecureFX are you running? - OS: Windows 7 Pro, SecureFX 7.0.2

Anytime you connect to a new host with SecureFX you will see the message that you described, "The host key database does not contain an entry for the hostname...". This should only be the case until you verify the host key and select "Accept & Save". If we click on Accept & Save - it will go in a loop and ask the same user and password even if we select "Save Password"

Are you saying that you see the prompt to accept and save the host key every time that you connect to this particular host? Yes

Can you expand on what you meant when you said that you "checked all folder permissions and FTP permissions" ? Did you check your user permissions on your "Known Hosts" folder located in your Config folder, for example? the users have full access to the folder and subfolders

The "The user DOMAIN\XXXXXXXXXXXXX does not have any roots specified; the channel is being closed" error message indicates that your user account does not have access to the file system on the remote that you are connecting to. - the users have full access to the folder and subfolders
Old 11-08-2018, 10:41 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi abeadriano,

In order to continue troubleshooting this issue we will need to review a SecureFX log that depicts the looping you are describing.

Can you please generate a log containing a few of the loop cycles that you have described?

If you have not already, you can enable logging to a file in SecureFX by navigating to Options > Global Options > File Transfer > Options > Advanced.

Please attach the log in its entirety to an email to support@vandyke.com, with Attn: Brittney, Forum Post 13312 in the subject field. Please do not post the log to the forums, as it will contain sensitive data.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-08-2018, 01:20 PM

Hi Brittney,
I have sent you the logfile via the support email.