Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 11-14-2013, 05:59 AM

support for high dpi screen (windows 8.1)

Hi there

I know you had to do some work to support the high dpi retina screen on the macbook.... well inevitably the same is happening on pc laptops and my latest screen has a res of 3200 x 1800.

I'll play with fonts and probably get something usable but it would be great if secure crt was high dpi scaling etc aware

I'd be happy to test a beta etc.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:42 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi keithop,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have created a feature request to support high resolution Windows displays. Should we do so in the future, we will post to this forum thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 03-17-2014, 03:03 PM

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I was wondering if there has been any progress regarding this issue.

What I am seeing is that the SecureCRT app declares itself DPI-aware, but does not scale properly with a DPI higher than 96 (100%). It also exhibits weird behaviors where the UI is scaled OK-ish, but the terminal content is not scaled at all, making the terminal content tiny and really hard to read.

I have managed to make the application almost usable on high-DPI screens by using "XN Resource Editor" to edit the included manifest and remove the "dpiAware" option. A better solution would be to either make the application fully DPI-aware, or let Windows use the DPI Virtualization feature to scale the app in a blurry, but more usable, fashion.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:14 PM

Hi bkraptor,

We do not yet have a high DPI version of SecureCRT for Windows. I have notified the SecureCRT product director that you are interested in this feature as well. We will post to this thread should we release a version of SecureCRT for high DPI monitors. If you would like to be notified directly, please submit the previously referenced form.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 03-18-2014, 08:05 AM

Hi rtb and thank you for the answer.

Since DPI scaling is currently not implemented in the current version of SecureCRT, would it be possible to also remove the manifest flag that makes the SecureCRT program declare itself as DPI-aware?

The reason I am asking this is that Windows already has a method of scaling DPI-unaware applications dynamically (called "DPI virtualization"). This works only if the application does not declare itself DPI-aware (via the manifest flag or via a call to the "SetProcessDPIAware" function). In the case of SecureCRT, the program declares itself DPI-aware, but in reality it isn't DPI-aware, causing Windows not to auto-scale the program via DPI virtualization.

One work-around that I've found works is to edit the SecureCRT.exe program with a resource editor and remove the <dpiAware> declaration from the application manifest, which is something I would want to avoid, since this invalidates the digital signature of the program.

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:30 AM

Hello bkraptor,

Todd is not available.

I have created a feature request on your behalf in our product enhancement database to remove the <dpiAware> declaration from SecureCRT's application manifest. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct e-mail notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #11273" in the subject line.

I would advise caution regarding the workaround suggestion as it does violate Section 2 of the license agreement.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 03-18-2014, 01:57 PM

Hi Brenda,

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the potential license issues. I have come up with an alternative method that does not imply any modifications to the SecureCRT.exe file.

Attached you can find a zip file containing 2 files:
- PreferExternalManifest.reg: registry setting to prefer external manifest files over the manifest information embedded into the program .exe file itself. More details here.
- SecureCRT.exe.manifest: a generic manifest file that has the DPI-aware flag disabled

Steps to make SecureCRT use DPI Virtualization (thus disabling the wrongfully-enabled DPI-aware flag):
1. Import the registry setting by double clicking the file "PreferExternalManifest.reg"
2. Place the "SecureCRT.exe.manifest" in the SecureCRT program directory, next to your "SecureCRT.exe" file.
3. Make sure the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" setting on the Compatibility tab of the SecureCRT.exe file is unchecked.
4. Run the SecureCRT.exe program
Attached Files
File Type: zip SecureCRT_high_DPI_workaround.zip (1.3 KB, 354 views)

Last edited by bkraptor; 03-19-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:35 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkraptor View Post
Hi rtb and thank you for the answer.

Since DPI scaling is currently not implemented in the current version of SecureCRT, would it be possible to also remove the manifest flag that makes the SecureCRT program declare itself as DPI-aware?

The reason I am asking this is that Windows already has a method of scaling DPI-unaware applications dynamically (called "DPI virtualization"). This works only if the application does not declare itself DPI-aware (via the manifest flag or via a call to the "SetProcessDPIAware" function). In the case of SecureCRT, the program declares itself DPI-aware, but in reality it isn't DPI-aware, causing Windows not to auto-scale the program via DPI virtualization.

One work-around that I've found works is to edit the SecureCRT.exe program with a resource editor and remove the <dpiAware> declaration from the application manifest, which is something I would want to avoid, since this invalidates the digital signature of the program.

Thank you in advance.
We have a version of SecureCRT with the <dpiAware> declaration removed. Please send email to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com so I can make it available for you.

Thanks,
Maureen
Old 01-06-2015, 01:38 PM

Another plus one for me on this. Working with a blurry screen is really starting to give me a headache after 30+ minutes
Old 01-06-2015, 03:35 PM

Thumbs down +1

I also get headaches. I might even go back to my older laptop because of this.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danshtr View Post
I also get headaches. I might even go back to my older laptop because of this.
Thanks for chiming in, Dan.

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 02-24-2015, 02:00 PM
VanDyke Product Director

We have improved support for high-DPI monitors in a pre-beta version of SecureCRT for Windows. If you'd like to try it, please send email to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen
Old 02-04-2016, 09:13 AM

Hi all,

Please note that the beta release cycle for v8.0 has started. SecureCRT beta versions are found on the website here.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 02-11-2016, 06:00 AM

Any chance hi-dpi support will be backported to 7.x? Or are we required to upgrade to 8.x?
Old 02-11-2016, 09:33 AM
VanDyke Product Director

The changes were fairly extensive, so they will not be backported.

Maureen