Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!


Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-10-2019, 06:20 PM
akshtray akshtray is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
View/Graphic issues

Hi,

I am trying out Secure CRT and am wondering if someone can help me out. I currently use CMDer in Windows as a my Command Line replacement. I am running 'ssh' inside the CMDer prompt and connecting to my Ubuntu server and MacBook, both of which are configured to use zsh as the shell and a Oh-my-zsh template (agnoster). The graphics for the console in CMDer look exactly like how they look if I were to open iTerm on the Macbook or terminal in Ubuntu.

Am I able to replicate this in SecureCRT? What exactly do I need to configure for this?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-10-2019, 06:36 PM
jdev's Avatar
jdev jdev is offline
VanDyke Technical Support
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 953
Hi Akshtray,

I'm not sure what to expect since I've never used CMDer with the Oh-my-zsh template.

Can you provide more information as to what it looks like and what you expect?

Screen-shots perhaps?

--Jake
__________________
Jake Devenport
VanDyke Software
Technical Support
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-10-2019, 06:50 PM
akshtray akshtray is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
@jdev

Sorry about that. I am not able to attach images directly here so have uploaded them to Flickr to share. If there is a different way you would like to view the images, please let me know.

Here are the screenshots from CMDer and SecureCRT.

Image from CMDer: https://flic.kr/p/2hXLZ95
Image from SecureCRT: https://flic.kr/p/2hXJtpS

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-10-2019, 07:47 PM
akshtray akshtray is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdev View Post
Hi Akshtray,

I'm not sure what to expect since I've never used CMDer with the Oh-my-zsh template.

Can you provide more information as to what it looks like and what you expect?

Screen-shots perhaps?

--Jake
Sessions open to the same Ubuntu Server with Secure CRT and CMDer.

CMDer
Secure CRT
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-11-2019, 09:22 AM
akshtray akshtray is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Have been messing around with some other SSH clients as well and I am able to see the images clearly on XShell as well as MobaXTerm out of the box.

I am guessing there is some kind of configuration setting in SecureCRT that I am missing?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-11-2019, 11:00 AM
jdev's Avatar
jdev jdev is offline
VanDyke Technical Support
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshtray View Post
Have been messing around with some other SSH clients as well and I am able to see the images clearly on XShell as well as MobaXTerm out of the box.

I am guessing there is some kind of configuration setting in SecureCRT that I am missing?
It's unclear at this point...

Would you be willing to capture a "raw log" of your interaction with the remote system so that we can see the problem in action and use it for testing. Here's how to capture a raw log in SecureCRT:
  1. Launch SecureCRT and open SecureCRT's main "File" menu and choose "Raw Log Session..."
    Specify a path to your Desktop folder and a name of the log file, such as SCRT_Raw_Log.txt. For example, if you're on Windows:
    %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SCRT_Raw_Log.txt
  2. Establish your connection to the remote machine.

  3. Proceed with your connection and interaction with the remote system to the point where you see the problem occur.

  4. Once you have seen the problem occur, open SecureCRT's main "File" menu and choose "Raw Log Session" (it will turn logging off).

  5. Go to the Desktop folder and locate the SCRT_Raw_Log.txt file.
The SCRT_Raw_Log.txt file may contain sensitive information that you may not feel comfortable posting to the public forums.
And, since you cannot upload here, please send an email to support@vandyke.com with a subject of Raw Log for forum thread #14001.6.
Attach the raw log to your email (don't try to copy and paste the contents into the body of the message -- control codes within the log file need to remain intact in order for the log to be of much use).
__________________
Jake Devenport
VanDyke Software
Technical Support
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-11-2019, 11:20 AM
akshtray akshtray is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdev View Post

It's unclear at this point...

Would you be willing to capture a "raw log" of your interaction with the remote system so that we can see the problem in action and use it for testing. Here's how to capture a raw log in SecureCRT:
  1. Launch SecureCRT and open SecureCRT's main "File" menu and choose "Raw Log Session..."
    Specify a path to your Desktop folder and a name of the log file, such as SCRT_Raw_Log.txt. For example, if you're on Windows:
    %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SCRT_Raw_Log.txt
  2. Establish your connection to the remote machine.

  3. Proceed with your connection and interaction with the remote system to the point where you see the problem occur.

  4. Once you have seen the problem occur, open SecureCRT's main "File" menu and choose "Raw Log Session" (it will turn logging off).

  5. Go to the Desktop folder and locate the SCRT_Raw_Log.txt file.
The SCRT_Raw_Log.txt file may contain sensitive information that you may not feel comfortable posting to the public forums.
And, since you cannot upload here, please send an email to support@vandyke.com with a subject of Raw Log for forum thread #14001.6.
Attach the raw log to your email (don't try to copy and paste the contents into the body of the message -- control codes within the log file need to remain intact in order for the log to be of much use).
Actually after doing some digging around I have made inroads here. Seems like you need to install 'Powerline Fonts' like Deja Vu Sans Mono, etc. in windows and then use that as a font for the session itself.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-11-2019, 12:21 PM
jdev's Avatar
jdev jdev is offline
VanDyke Technical Support
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshtray View Post
Actually after doing some digging around I have made inroads here. Seems like you need to install 'Powerline Fonts' like Deja Vu Sans Mono, etc. in windows and then use that as a font for the session itself.
That makes sense if the extensions/customizations you're using within zsh require glyphs that exist within "Powerline Fonts" only.

I've added a feature request for SecureCRT to support these powerline glyphs more natively, if possible. If we make inroads in this regard, we'll post here.

--Jake
__________________
Jake Devenport
VanDyke Software
Technical Support
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-11-2019, 12:23 PM
akshtray akshtray is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdev View Post
That makes sense if the extensions/customizations you're using within zsh require glyphs that exist within "Powerline Fonts" only.

I've added a feature request for SecureCRT to support these powerline glyphs more natively, if possible. If we make inroads in this regard, we'll post here.

--Jake
Sounds good. It is interesting that it ran out of the box in MobaXterm and XShell but did NOT in Zoc (which I own) and Secure CRT (in trial). Could be something to do with how the first 2 come bundled with maybe?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-11-2019, 12:29 PM
jdev's Avatar
jdev jdev is offline
VanDyke Technical Support
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshtray View Post
Sounds good. It is interesting that it ran out of the box in MobaXterm and XShell but did NOT in Zoc (which I own) and Secure CRT (in trial). Could be something to do with how the first 2 come bundled with maybe?
I'm not familiar with the other products to be able to answer your question. Sorry!

What I can tell from the research I've done on your behalf is that it seems "Power Line" fonts have special Unicode glyphs that don't exist in all fonts. Once you use a powerline font in your SecureCRT configuration, the Unicode glyphs are present within the font, and the display works as you desire.

--Jake
__________________
Jake Devenport
VanDyke Software
Technical Support
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support

Last edited by jdev; 12-11-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:02 PM.