Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 12-11-2019, 01:31 PM

SecureCRT 8.5.4 Ubuntu kerberos issue

I used securecrt on Mac and it has an option for kerberos but it seems to be missing in Ubuntu. When I searched it, it says i have to link libgssapi.so but it does not mention anything about how to do it. Can you explain this and let me know here to create the links.
Attached Images
File Type: png 00_no_lib.png (15.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: png 02-missing-kerberos.png (38.8 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by jdev; 12-11-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Embedded graphics into post for efficient viewing.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:56 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Dear taksoy007,

If you're not sure where to go, it's best that you work with your admin team to get things set up for you regarding libgssapi and Kerberos.

The following data is provided only to document what worked for me; because I'm not your system administrator, I cannot say exactly what steps you should take in your scenario.

In general, the goal is to locate the libgssapi.so.x file that is available on your system, and then link to it as /usr/lib/libgssapi.so

For example, on my Ubuntu 18.04 virtual machine (with a snapshot in place for reverting to in case I decided I wanted to abandon the effort), I ran this command...
locate libgssapi.so
...and it provided me with a path to a file named libgssapi.so.3 (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgssapi.so.3).

I noted the path and used the ln command to create the needed link:
ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgssapi.so.3 /usr/lib/libgssapi.so
In addition, I decided to install the krb5-user package so that I could use kinit to create Kerberos tickets for use in authenticating to SSH2 servers within the desired Kerberos realm.

All of this was done on a virtual machine where I could revert with ease to a known-good snapshot in case I needed to get back to a known-good setup.

Again, consult with your system administrator for assistance with configuring your system for libgssapi and Kerberos.

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support