Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Secure Shell

Old 10-23-2005, 08:52 AM

SecureCRT version 4 availability

My organization standardized on SecureCRT v4 with a site license. However, they depend on distribution via download from the VanDyke web page . VanDyke, however, no longer has version 4 on the download page. How can I get a copy of the install files for version 4?
Don Milton, MD, DrPH
Old 10-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Previous versions *are* available on the web site

Don:

You can find previous releases of VanDyke Software products, including SecureCRT 4.X on our Previous Releases page.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the very prompt reply!

It is great to be able to get back to work!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:19 AM
VanDyke Customer Care

Hi dmilton,

Glad to hear that your team is up and running.

Was there a particular function of SecureCRT 4.0/4.1 which prompted your organization to standardize on that particular version?

Have any changes with the 5.0 release negatively affected your organization's usage of SecureCRT?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:16 PM

Hi,

I would certainly standardize on version 4.x at the moment considering my experiences with the 5.x product. In environments where IP addressed do not resolve to names in the DNS, version 5.x has been a major difficulty. This is expecially true when supporting multiple client environments and NAT addressing is used for most servers we connect to. You have to wait for up to 45 seconds for the 5.x client to prompt you for a login. This is apparently a feature in the GSSAPI that cannot be turned off.

I have a workaround but its it very strange I have to do this for nearly every login profile that I create. When I create a new profile, goto SSH2, select GSSAPI authentication, goto properties, then advanced, tick manually specify the SPN. Type in yeah@yeah.com, Click OK.. now DESELECT the GSSAPI as I do not use it anyway. This fixes the problem with delays on login. It appears that GSSAPI does reverse name lookups regardless if you are using it as authentication or not.

This problem makes the 5.x client very painful to use.

Regards

Kevin Davies
CSC Australia
Old 11-22-2005, 02:12 PM

Hi Kevin,

This is something that we are aware of and are looking to correct.

I have added this forum thread to our development database so a note can be posted here when this is resolved.

If you would rather be contacted via email, please send an email to support@vandyke.com with the subject of ATTN: Teresa Forum Thread 1095.

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 11-29-2005, 09:05 AM

Problems with reverse lookup

I've found this to be a major problem as well, and the stated workaround doesn't work for me. But I don't even get the long delays, I get a timeout after about 30 seconds. Is there a way to extend the timeout? I'd be willing to wait if I could at least connect.

Also, any ETA on a fix for this problem?

Thanks,
Nate
Old 11-29-2005, 11:07 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nategasser
I've found this to be a major problem as well, and the stated workaround doesn't work for me. But I don't even get the long delays, I get a timeout after about 30 seconds. Is there a way to extend the timeout? I'd be willing to wait if I could at least connect.

Also, any ETA on a fix for this problem?

Thanks,
Nate
Are you attempting GSSAPI authentication, or some other authentication such as password or publickey?

Once the timeout occurs, SecureCRT should move on and attempt the next selected authentication method.

Are you saying that SecureCRT isn't moving on to the next authentication method, or is there some other problem occurring?

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 11-29-2005, 12:45 PM

I'm attempting password authentication. I've tried it with all the options checked, and with just password checked.

This timeout problem affects roughly half the hosts I try to connect to -- all on the public internet, no special firewalls or NAT. I have no trouble connecting to those hosts with SecureCRT 3.x, or with PuTTY. Connecting with the IP doesn't help.

I thought it had to do with the reverse name not being the same as the name I'm entering, but that doesn't appear to be the case, as sometimes I can connect to hosts like that.

Any ideas what's going on?
Nate.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nategasser
I'm attempting password authentication. I've tried it with all the options checked, and with just password checked.

This timeout problem affects roughly half the hosts I try to connect to -- all on the public internet, no special firewalls or NAT. I have no trouble connecting to those hosts with SecureCRT 3.x, or with PuTTY. Connecting with the IP doesn't help.

I thought it had to do with the reverse name not being the same as the name I'm entering, but that doesn't appear to be the case, as sometimes I can connect to hosts like that.

Any ideas what's going on?
Nate.
Nate,

We might be able to get a better idea as to what the problem is if you can provide us with some Trace Options output.
- Prior to attempting a connection, enable Trace Options from the main File menu.

- Attempt the connection to the remote machine. You should notice a good deal of debug information displayed in the terminal screen are.

- At the point of failure, copy the debug information from the terminal screen/scrollback. This is the information we'd be interested in analysing.

Trace Option output can contain information that you don't necessarily want displayed in a public forum. If you would feel more comfortable with email, please send the Trace Options output of the failed connection attempt via email to support@vandyke.com with a subject of "SecureCRT authentication problem - Forum Thread #1095" and we'll see if there's anything glaringly obvious as to what the problem might be.

--Jake
Old 12-01-2005, 10:09 AM

Actually, nothing sensitive was shown. Nothing too much at all:

SecureCRT - Version 5.0.4 (build 1065)
SecureCRT - Version 5.0.4 (build 1065)
----here's where the wait occurs------
[LOCAL] : Discarding invalid state change from STATE_NOT_CONNECTED to STATE_CLOSED.
[LOCAL] : Connected for 21 seconds, 0 bytes sent, 0 bytes received

Any ideas?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:26 PM

From the trace options output it appears that the machine can't be reached, and there's no GSSAPI output, so the problem you're reporting is different than the one that this thread originally started out as.

You mentioned that SecureCRT 3.x and putty could both connect, but SecureCRT 5.0.4 has difficulty.

Are you behind a firewall/proxy?

--Jake
Old 12-01-2005, 01:59 PM

Jake,

I'm behind a Linksys WRT54G router, using NAT. As I mentioned, I connect no trouble to maybe 5 or 6 hosts, and I get that timeout for another 5 or 6. For the ones I timeout with, I can connect with v3 or with putty.

Thanks,
Nate
Old 12-01-2005, 02:10 PM

Nate,

Thanks for the info. The problem you are seeing in v5 might be related to a similar problem that has been fixed and will be available in the next release of SecureCRT.

If you are interested in trying out a pre-release version of SecureCRT that contains the fix to see if it resolves the problem for you, please send a request for a fix for DEV#11110 to support@vandyke.com with a subject of "VanDyke Software Forum Thread # 1095". If you also have SecureFX installed on the same machine as SecureCRT, please indicate which version of SecureFX, and whether or not SecureFX and SecureCRT are integrated (share the same configuration database).

Once we have received your email, we can provide you with download instructions for obtaining the fix and you can run a quick test to see if it resolves the problem for you.

--Jake