Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Secure Shell

Old 01-26-2012, 12:02 PM

Strange Behavior in SSH

Heya,

I'm having a weird problem with how SecureCRT (latest, x64) interacts with a CLI I work with on a CentOS machine.

When connecting to mongo/mongos CLI the keyboard begins acting strange. This issue does not happen with other SSH programs (i.e. PuTTY).

In the following example, I have tried to backspace a few characters. The following happens:

mongos> db.metrics.find({'$regmongos> db.metrics.find({'$re mongos> db.metrics.find({'$r mongos> db.metrics.find({'$

My original line was: mongos> db.metrics.find({'$reg

Backspacing g, e, and r resulted in the line shown in the example.

Rather than just deleting the previous char, it deletes the char, tabs, and redraws the remainder of the line again and again. I can still send my input normally, but the display is all messed up.

I've been looking all over my settings and keymap to try and find a fix, but to no prevail. Anyone experience this before?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:12 PM

Hm, no edits allowed I see. Okay to add details: Same thing happens if you try to use the left and right arrow keys, but it's even more confusing then to figure out what SecureCRT is showing you.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:06 PM

Hello Jakiao,

Sometimes a client and server aren't in agreement about what a key-press means. This can have unexpected consequences. Emulation (and keyboard emulation) can make all the difference.

Which emulation is set in Session Options / Terminal / Emulation?

What do you see when you run the command echo $TERM on the server?

Can you connect with SecureCRT and run the command stty -a on the server, then post the output?

If you type cat -v on the remote and then press the Backspace key, left arrow, right arrow, what do you see with SecureCRT and PuTTY?
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 01-26-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Hello Jakiao,

Sometimes a client and server aren't in agreement about what a key-press means. This can have unexpected consequences. Emulation (and keyboard emulation) can make all the difference.

Which emulation is set in Session Options / Terminal / Emulation?

What do you see when you run the command echo $TERM on the server?
Server is VT100 and so is SecureCRT. Putty runs xterm.

Quote:
Can you connect with SecureCRT and run the command stty -a on the server, then post the output?
speed 38400 baud; rows 47; columns 182; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>; eol2 = <undef>; swtch = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V;
flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts -cdtrdsr
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon -ixoff -iuclc -ixany -imaxbel -iutf8
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt echoctl echoke

Quote:
If you type cat -v on the remote and then press the Backspace key, left arrow, right arrow, what do you see with SecureCRT and PuTTY?
Backspace/Up/Down/Left/Right in SecureCRT is ^H^[[A^[[B^[[D^[[C

On Putty Backspace works as backspace, and the arrow keys are the same as SecureCRT.

----

Switching SecureCRT to use xterm instead of VT100 fixes the problem.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Switching SecureCRT to use xterm instead of VT100 fixes the problem.
Thanks for posting the solution!
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 01-26-2012, 03:16 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

If using the Xterm emulation solves the problem, it points to the possibility that the value of the PS1 environment variable might be a factor in causing the behavior you reported.

If you're using the bash shell (as indicated by the SHELL environment variable -- type 'set' command alone to get a listing of your environment variables and their values) on fairly recent versions of CentOS, the bash shell uses the PROMPT_COMMAND environment variable to determine how to display the shell prompt for an Xterm terminal; otherwise, PS1 is typically used to control shell prompt behavior for other terminal types.

Since PS1 is the environment variable controlling how the prompt is displayed when bash is communicating with a VT100 terminal, it's possible that your PS1 value might contain garbage/incomplete escape characters or other "properties" that lead to the exciting behavior you described.

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 01-27-2012, 01:29 PM

Unfortunately the strange behavior is not stopping there. I've come across another instance of this and it doesn't matter which terminal I use it won't resolve.

In SSH, start a screen session and switch to it. Backspace deletes the whole line instead of one character, and Delete does absolutely nothing. In this case, Backspace does not output ^H in cat -v; instead, it maintains the behavior of deleting the whole line.

This is all very peculiar. I have used SecureCRT off and on for about a decade now and this is the first time I've ever had these problems.

Edit 1: Saw Jake's reply after submitting this one. Very interesting. Something I will look into.

Edit 2: Running CentOS 5.5-5.7 using /bin/bash on the devices I'm having this problem with. All use $PS1 with the contents: [\u@\h \W]\$. Everything is fine and dandy with backspace until I switch to a screen session. $TERM changes to 'screen' and $PS1 remains unchanged.

Also worth noting, Jake, is that the original weird behavior I reported was occurring inside a program launched from bash. I haven't seen the corrupted output in bash directly.

Last edited by Jakiao; 01-27-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:15 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

The behavior your describing with the whole line being deleted matches what one might expect when pressing Ctrl+U (or whatever your term cap has defined for the "kill" functionality).

With respect to this behavior being specific to 'screen', it would appear that perhaps your profile/system has a "creative" termcap definition for the screen terminal type.

For example, once you start screen, what is the "kill" setting as reported by 'stty -a'?

Feel free to provide all 'stty -a' output when you're in 'screen', as there might be other helpful info it contains.

One thing I noticed from your earlier output of 'stty -a' was that your "erase" setting is defined as ^? (delete). This is no problem for shells like bash, which can handle the differences and do the right thing regardless, but since your remote terminal is expecting a delete character for "erase" (backspace), you might consider enabling the "Backspace sends delete" option in SecureCRT's session options Terminal / Emulation / Mapped keys category and see if you get any different behavior.

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support