Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > File Transfer

Old 04-11-2010, 07:12 PM

Make default for ALL file types 'binary' transfer?

I want all FTP transfers to be done in 'binary' mode, without having to right-drag the files... I just want it to be the default.

Is there any way to do this? WinSCP does it, so I'd expect SecureFX to do it as well.

- Tim
Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 AM

Hello Tim,

In SecureFX you can set the default transfer type to binary (Global Options / Transfer). This will cause SecureFX to transfer all files with an unknown file extension in binary mode. You'll still need to modify transfer type for known file extensions.

To make files with known file extensions transfer as binary, you can either modify each of the file types in Global Options / File Transfer / File Types, or modify the File Types.ini file directly. Since you want all files to transfer as binary, it would be fastest to modify the File Types.ini file directly and just remove all but one of the listings (SecureFX will populate the file with defaults if the file is completely empty). I've attached a simple File Types.ini file with only one entry, as an example.

The File Types.ini file is located in the SecureFX configuration. You'll find the configuration folder location specified in Global Options / General.
Attached Files
File Type: txt FileTypes.ini.txt (144 Bytes, 230 views)
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 04-12-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
Hello Tim,

In SecureFX you can set the default transfer type to binary (Global Options / Transfer). This will cause SecureFX to transfer all files with an unknown file extension in binary mode. You'll still need to modify transfer type for known file extensions.

To make files with known file extensions transfer as binary, you can either modify each of the file types in Global Options / File Transfer / File Types, or modify the File Types.ini file directly. Since you want all files to transfer as binary, it would be fastest to modify the File Types.ini file directly and just remove all but one of the listings (SecureFX will populate the file with defaults if the file is completely empty). I've attached a simple File Types.ini file with only one entry, as an example.

The File Types.ini file is located in the SecureFX configuration. You'll find the configuration folder location specified in Global Options / General.
Thanks Mike - I guess modifying File Types.ini would be most expedient.

Add it to the "Feature Request List", I guess, to have a global override... you know, for all file types instead of just unknown ones. Then one could flip between everything being their chosen transfer type, or being file-type-specific, as the need arose. :-)

- Tim
Old 04-12-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Add it to the "Feature Request List", I guess, to have a global override... you know, for all file types instead of just unknown ones. Then one could flip between everything being their chosen transfer type, or being file-type-specific, as the need arose. :-)
Thanks Tim,

I've added your suggestion to our request database. Having a global over-ride would be a convenient addition. We'll post a follow up message to this forum if we add your suggestion to a future release. If you would like e-mail notification, please let us know and refer to forum thread 5459.
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 AM
VanDyke Product Director

An option to force every file in a transfer operation to be transferred as binary or ASCII has been added to a pre-beta version of SecureFX. If you would be interested in trying it, please send email to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen