Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 08-04-2020, 09:24 AM

SecureCRT too slow for coloured output

I am using SecureCRT Version 8.7.2 (x64 build 2214) and I see that it takes a long time to display coloured output.

E.g. the command 'cat log2 | grep BIZ --color=always' takes a several second to finish displaying but at the same time 'cat log2 | grep BIZ --color=never' finishes displaying in a few milliseconds. In both cases the time taken to actually execute the commands is negligible:

Code:
# time cat log2 | grep BIZ --color=always
<snip/>

real    0m0.009s
user    0m0.002s
sys     0m0.007s
# time cat log2 | grep BIZ --color=never
<snip/>

real    0m0.009s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.009s
SecureCRT is being run on Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.959]. I am connecting to a Linux VM running on the same machine via SSH to execute these commands and so there are no network delays whatsoever. The Linux VM is running:

Code:
# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Release:        20.04
Codename:       focal
So far I have tried disabling keyword highlighting. Changing the terminal type to xterm, linux, ANSI, vt100. Limiting the scrollback buffer to 500 lines. None of these seems to have any effect on the speed of display for coloured output.

Any suggestions to workaround this issue?
Old 08-04-2020, 01:30 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi gopalsr83,

Would you be willing to capture a "raw log" of your cat interaction with the remote system so that we can see the problem in action and use it for testing? Here's how I'd like you to capture the raw logs in SecureCRT:
  1. Establish your connection in SecureCRT to the Linux VM
  2. Proceed with your connection and interaction with the system to the point where you are about to perform the cat commands you shared in your post.
  3. Launch SecureCRT and open SecureCRT's main "File" menu and choose "Raw Log Session". This will open a new dialog box to save the log file. Specify a path to your Desktop folder (or another folder of your choice) and a name for the log file, such as ColorAlways.txt.
  4. Run the "...--color=always" command, open SecureCRT's main "File" menu and choose "Raw Log Session" (it will turn logging off).
  5. Turn Raw logging back on by selecting "Raw Log Session" and name the new log file something like ColorNever.txt.
  6. Run the "...--color=never" command, then open SecureCRT's main "File" menu and choose "Raw Log Session" again to turn logging off again.
  7. Go to the folder you specified when saving the log files, locate the 2 log files you generated, and then please send an email to support@vandyke.com, with "ATTN Cameron: Forum Thread 14250" in the subject line, with the log files attached. Please don't paste the contents into the body of your message -- please attach them!
If sharing the raw log information is not an option, could you please share with us how large the "log2" file is and how many matches are displayed in total so that we can generate something similar in nature for testing purposes?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730