Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Scripting

Old 01-13-2020, 07:14 AM

Python environment

How can we extend / customize the embedded python environment?

I can see that there's a 'python27.zip' in the installation directory, with what looks like most of the python standard library and a 'site-packages' folder in there, so I assume it should be possible to add new packages, but I was wondering if there's a recommended toolchain / workflow for this before I try to bang my head against it myself.

The packages I'm looking to add are all pure python at this point (requests namely, but maybe a few others).

Also, while I'm here, python 2.7 is going EOS this year. Are there any plans to shift to Python 3?
Old 01-13-2020, 09:25 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi wrgeorge1983,
Quote:
How can we extend / customize the embedded python environment?
What modules, specifically, did you need support for?

Quote:
Also, while I'm here, python 2.7 is going EOS this year. Are there any plans to shift to Python 3?
I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to add support for Python 3.x. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include Feature Request - Forum Thread #14038 in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by bgagnon; 01-13-2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Removed inaccurate info
Old 01-13-2020, 02:25 PM

The package I'm most interested in is called 'requests' (https://pypi.org/project/requests/). But in general one of the largest strengths of python is its extensibility and enormous catalog of available packages, so I'd like to be able to add new packages more or less "at will".
Old 01-15-2020, 09:33 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi wrgeorge1983,

It's not currently possible to extend/customize the embedded Python environment.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to add support for Python requests module. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include Feature Request - Forum Thread #14038 in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730