Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Secure Shell

Notices

Old 04-19-2013, 12:16 PM

Question Upgrade missing session minimizr to tray

Just upgraded from 6.1 to 7.0 and I seem to be missing the session option to minimize to tray. I use this as I have Master Sessions (for proxies) that only need to sit in the tray and not take taskbar space. Did the option move?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:40 PM

Hello jcouch93,

The Minimize to Activator in the system tray option was removed from the GUI (it was in Global Options / General). I've added your forum post to our request database and we'll post a follow up message to this thread if the option is added back. If added and you would like direct e-mail notification, please let us know and refer to forum thread 10990.

The option is still in the Global.ini file if you'd like to enable it manually:
D:"Minimize To Tray"=00000001
The Global.ini file is in the configuration folder. The configuration folder location is specified in Global Options / General.

If you're planning to modify the Global.ini file manually, close all SecureCRT and SecureFX windows first (so that your change takes effect, and so that it doesn't get overwritten).
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 04-19-2013, 01:47 PM

That option is still there (Global Options\General) but the one I'm looking for is the one in the Session options. It also shows in the help files as being useful when creating Master Sessions for proxies so I wonder why it was removed?
Old 04-19-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I wonder why it was removed?
Of course, the session option. Sorry for my confusion. I think it may be counter intuitive with tiling. If you use tiling and minimize a tiled window, right now it minimizes within its main SecureCRT window frame. If it minimized to the Activator then it might be confusing. Still, it could be a useful option. We will post if it's added back as a session option.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:14 PM

I see. I think it would be useful to those of us who rarely if ever use tiling but need to have certain sessions not clutter up the taskbar. I did try adding the option you gave into the session ini file for my master session but it didn't work. Would you have any other suggestion for a workaround? I have no choice but to use a proxy master session for my connections so I have to have it open. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:39 PM

I do understand wanting the option.
Quote:
Would you have any other suggestion for a workaround?
I'd like a little time to think about this, run some tests, and discuss with colleagues before posting any suggestions. I'll post a follow up message.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 AM

jcouch93,

SecureCRT 7.1 provides a new way to create proxies. Using proxy sessions is much easier in 7.1 than in prior versions. The new method should eliminate the need to start a "master session", so the need to minimize the master session to the Activator is also eliminated. Here are the steps for using the new dependent session firewall feature in 7.1 and newer:
  • Create a session to the proxy server, let's call it Host A.
  • Do not configure any port forwards.
  • Create a session to the host behind the proxy server, let's call it Host B.
  • In Session Options / Connection / SSH2, choose Select Session... in the Firewall dropdown box.
  • Choose Host A, the proxy server session .
  • Connect to Host B.
The Host B session will connect through Host A. Host A is effectively the master session, and the port forward is created transparently for you - there's no session for you to minimize.

Version 7.1 is currently in beta, but could you try 7.1 beta and let us know how this new dependent session firewall setup works for you?
Old 03-28-2016, 07:36 AM

Proxies in 7.3.6

I have version 7.3.6. I don't see the menu items described here. Can you help me set up proxies? I use a bastion host and would like to set up different looks for different target hosts.

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
jcouch93,

SecureCRT 7.1 provides a new way to create proxies. Using proxy sessions is much easier in 7.1 than in prior versions. The new method should eliminate the need to start a "master session", so the need to minimize the master session to the Activator is also eliminated. Here are the steps for using the new dependent session firewall feature in 7.1 and newer:
  • Create a session to the proxy server, let's call it Host A.
  • Do not configure any port forwards.
  • Create a session to the host behind the proxy server, let's call it Host B.
  • In Session Options / Connection / SSH2, choose Select Session... in the Firewall dropdown box.
  • Choose Host A, the proxy server session .
  • Connect to Host B.
The Host B session will connect through Host A. Host A is effectively the master session, and the port forward is created transparently for you - there's no session for you to minimize.

Version 7.1 is currently in beta, but could you try 7.1 beta and let us know how this new dependent session firewall setup works for you?
Old 03-28-2016, 08:22 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi rhughs,

Note that your bastion host must be capable of dynamic port forwarding for the "dependent session" port forwarding method to work.

Changes in SecureCRT 7.1 (Beta 1) -- February 26, 2013
------------------------------------------------------

New features:

• Added support for dependent sessions so that a connection can be made to a jump host or SSH gateway before the session is connected.

To clarify what miked wrote:
  1. Create a session (using Quick Connect) to Host A (bastion host)
  2. Create a session (using Quick Connect) to Host B (target host)
  3. Right-click Host B session in Session Manager, this will display the Session Options dialog
  4. Go to Connection / SSH2 category
  5. From the Firewall dropdown, choose the Select Session... option
  6. It will display a "session picker", choose Host A session (see also attached)
The "dependent session" way of port forwarding is now configured for Host B. Repeat steps 2 through 6 for any remaining target host sessions.
Attached Images
File Type: png ForumThread10990.png (92.6 KB, 445 views)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by bgagnon; 03-28-2016 at 08:26 AM.