VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2005, 11:13 AM

Exclamation BUG: SecureCRT does not handle long URL's properly!

This is something that I've noticed is a deficiency in the SecureCRT product that goes back several years. It would be beneficial to the user community if it could be resolved. I was hoping it would be fixed by the time 5.0 was rolled out, but I guess it's not a big deal to most people (either that, or perhaps I'm the only one to notice this? )

I only use PINE to read my email, and I love the feature of how I can right-click on a URL in an email and having the URL open in my web browser. However, if there's a particularly long URL that gets wrapped to the next line, only the first line of that URL is opened up in the web browser! Since it's only a fragment of the URL that gets sent to the web browser, long URL's frequently fail to open properly.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this issue of long URL's being properly opened in the web browser? The entire URL should be opened, regardless of whether it is wrapped to the next line or not. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Weekend Programmer and CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs
This is something that I've noticed is a deficiency in the SecureCRT product that goes back several years. It would be beneficial to the user community if it could be resolved. I was hoping it would be fixed by the time 5.0 was rolled out, but I guess it's not a big deal to most people (either that, or perhaps I'm the only one to notice this? )

I only use PINE to read my email, and I love the feature of how I can right-click on a URL in an email and having the URL open in my web browser. However, if there's a particularly long URL that gets wrapped to the next line, only the first line of that URL is opened up in the web browser! Since it's only a fragment of the URL that gets sent to the web browser, long URL's frequently fail to open properly.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this issue of long URL's being properly opened in the web browser? The entire URL should be opened, regardless of whether it is wrapped to the next line or not. Thanks!
I believe the problem is that Pine sends SecureCRT a cursor change position at the end of the line so SecureCRT doesn't know it is all part of the same URL. That is one of the reasons we added open selection as URL.

--Jeff
Old 03-23-2005, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpv
I believe the problem is that Pine sends SecureCRT a cursor change position at the end of the line so SecureCRT doesn't know it is all part of the same URL. That is one of the reasons we added open selection as URL.
Is there any way to code around this? For example, one of SecureCRT's competitors (SSH.com Secure Shell) does not have this problem. I can open up a long URL in SSH Secure Shell, even if it wraps to 6 or more lines, in a browser without any problems. And this problem isn't limited to just Pine; if I'm in Emacs or vi and I encounter a long URL, SecureCRT cannot open any part of that URL past the first line, whereas SSH Secure Shell has no problems doing this.

Of course, "open selection as URL" is definitely a work-around for this, but it entails an additional step (needing to highlight the entire URL first with the mouse). It would be beneficial if this could be accomplished by simply right-clicking on the entire URL and have the entire address go directly into the web browser without needing to first highlight anything.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:34 AM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Is there any way to code around this? For example, one of SecureCRT's competitors (SSH.com Secure Shell) does not have this problem. I can open up a long URL in SSH Secure Shell, even if it wraps to 6 or more lines, in a browser without any problems. And this problem isn't limited to just Pine; if I'm in Emacs or vi and I encounter a long URL, SecureCRT cannot open any part of that URL past the first line, whereas SSH Secure Shell has no problems doing this.

Of course, "open selection as URL" is definitely a work-around for this, but it entails an additional step (needing to highlight the entire URL first with the mouse). It would be beneficial if this could be accomplished by simply right-clicking on the entire URL and have the entire address go directly into the web browser without needing to first highlight anything.
I have added your request to our development database. We'll look into this to see if we can improve the way SecureCRT deals with URLs that span multiple lines.

Maureen
Old 04-20-2005, 03:48 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
I was just looking at this issue and wanted to be sure I understood the problem. What I noticed is that if a URL spans multiple lines, the right-click menu item "Open URL" is only available on the first line of the URL. However, if I select "Open URL" on the first line of the URL, it opens my browser and pastes the entire URL into the browser correctly. Is that the behavior you see?

Maureen