Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 03-26-2015, 11:45 AM

Menu and toolbar disappeared

I have been running SecureCRT 7.2.6 606 for about 6 months without any problems on a Win7 64 machine. Something happened that now when I launch SecureCRT my Menu and Toolbar aren't there anymore. I can get them back by unchecking those two options in the customization window. But then, when I launch a Session, again the Menu and Toolbar disappear where before they were always on top. When I close the Session window, I get a blank screen. I have set and reset numberous options numberous times in different configurations and can't seem to get it back to where it was. The SAVE doesn't seem to work. HELP PLEASE!
Old 03-26-2015, 12:27 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi 10tech,

It seems like you may not have the option Auto Save Options enabled in the Options menu.

Would you check that the status of the option?

If it is disabled, if you enable it, do you get better results?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 03-26-2015, 03:16 PM

AUTO SAVE is and was checked. I managed to get everything working again.... for now. I afraid to close out SecureCRT. I may loose all my settings again. I hope not. I can't afford to close it right now because I have too much work to do. I will close it at the end of my shift and then try openning it again to see if everything saved. I will let you know.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:29 PM

Also.... I use "ALT-F1/F2" hotkeys for repetative work. I noticed that when I hit the ALT key by itself, it underscores the first letter of each of the items in the MENU BAR. If you hit ALT twice, it drops down the "FILE" menu.

Having a little bit of trouble with my keyboard, I might have hit the ALT key and something else that caused SecureCRT to make some kind of changes to my settings.

Is there a way to turn off the ALT key from highlighting the Menus in the MENU BAR?

Thanks Todd
Old 03-26-2015, 05:28 PM

Hi 10tech,

The Alt key behavior is standard in Windows.

The problem with the configuration is not something that I have encountered before. Since things were working as expected, and have just now started to change, I would suggest investigating the changes to the configuration folder around the time that you started noticing the undesired behavior.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 03-27-2015, 12:06 PM

I did a "Previous Versions" Restore Point to earlier in the month, however I get the same results when I open a "Sessions in Tab". It seems that when a Session opens, it goes to a "Full Screen" size and hides both the main MENU and TOOL bars. When I close the Session, the screen remains in "FULL Screen" and everything is hidden. No matter what settings I change, I can't keep "FULL SCREEN" from happening. It never did this before. What I need is to see the (I think you call it the "Explorer Bar"? - the one that shows the MIN/MAX/EXIT in the top right corner). Then below that I want to see a Global Menu Bar, and below that the Global ToolBar. When I open a Session-in-tap, it should be below the other Explorer/Menu/Tool bars. When I close a session, all the Explorer/Menu/Tool bars should still be there. I played with the "Disable Resize", but when I relaunch SecureCRT it goes back to the same "hide the bars" senario. I made some changes in the Global.ini file, but they don't seem to SAVE on the next launch. I still need some help with this and would appreciate any I can get.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:12 PM

Hi 10tech,

A restore point typically only restores the registry. I wouldn't expect that to change files if the files have been changed.

The title bar has the options to modify the state of the program window. If you see the title bar, but don't see the menu and tool bars, I am not sure what might have happened. You may need to investigate what has changed in your environment.

If this happens with all saved sessions, you may need to open each saved session, fix it and close it.

If that doesn't fix the session, then you may not have permission to write to the configuration folder.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 03-28-2015, 01:59 PM

Hi 10tech,

Another thing to check would be whether you are in full screen mode. Try pressing Alt+Enter. Do you see your menu and tool bars again?

If so, you can close the session while not in full screen mode.

You can also edit the .ini file corresponding to the session (found in the "Sessions" subfolder in SecureCRT configuration folder). There will be a line that reads as follows if the session is configured to start in full screen mode:
D:"Is Full Screen"=00000001

You can close out all instances of SecureCRT and then modify this one line to be as follows, and the session will no longer open in Full Screen mode:
D:"Is Full Screen"=00000000

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 09-25-2015, 04:13 PM

To fix this Bug

I have a similar problem on Windows 7, Secure CRT 7.3.4 (64-bit) using 2 identical external monitors.

The title and menu bar disappear when I start sessions, and under other random conditions associated with moving the application around the screen.

To fix, Todd at customer suport gave me the following workaround, which seems solid:

press and hold <WINDOWS> key, press and release < left arrow> OR < right arrow > key

This causes SecureCRT to SNAP to Left, Middle or right side of screen.

press and hold <ALT> key, depress and release <Enter> key.

Title bar and menus return.