Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > File Transfer

Old 10-30-2012, 04:29 PM

Stop/break a "send ascii file" transfer

Once I start a "SEND ASCII" file transfer, there is no way to pause/stop/break the send action if an error is encountered while sending. Is there a way to build a "BREAK" or "PAUSE" button to perform this function?

SecureCRT 6.6 or 7.1

I tried to use the SEND BREAK option (SecureCRT 7.1) in the EDIT pulldown. That closed the window, disconnected the session and close the SecureCRT program. BAD option.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tom
Old 10-30-2012, 05:33 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10tech View Post
Once I start a "SEND ASCII" file transfer, there is no way to pause/stop/break the send action if an error is encountered while sending.
Hi Tom,

What do you mean by "an error is encountered while sending"?

Is this more of an "Ooops! I didn't mean to paste that!" kind of error?

Or is it more of an "Uh Oh... I'm pasting a lot of sequential commands or data, and the remote choked on something and I need to stop the paste now" kind of error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10tech View Post
Is there a way to build a "BREAK" or "PAUSE" button to perform this function? ... I tried to use the SEND BREAK option (SecureCRT 7.1) in the EDIT pulldown. That closed the window, disconnected the session and close the SecureCRT program. BAD option.
BREAK is not the same as PAUSE (as you have learned). A BREAK causes a disruption in the connection protocol, the nature of which is different depending on the protocol you're using to connect. It isn't a "please stop receiving data from me" type of function.

In your case I'm guessing (based on the behavior you described) that you have SecureCRT configured to "Close on Disconnect" and that the protocol with which you were connecting is one for which the BREAK signal sent to the remote caused the remote to close the connection. Since the connection was closed and your "Close on Disconnect" option was enabled, SecureCRT did exactly what it was configured to do and closed down the tab in which you had the connection open. Since you indicated that SecureCRT had also shut down, I'm thinking that the connection you had open was in the only tab within that window.

In terms of PAUSING or stopping a SEND ASCII operation that has already been started, SecureCRT doesn't currently provide a native way to accomplish the behavior you want. I've added a feature request on your behalf, and we'll post to this forum thread should something become available that will fill the need for this functionality in a future version of SecureCRT.

In the meantime, there might be a workaround solution available to you depending on what you're trying to accomplish and the platform on which you're running SecureCRT.

What operating system are you using to run SecureCRT?

Can you tell me more about the situation you've encountered, and how a PAUSE might have helped you?

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support

Last edited by jdev; 10-30-2012 at 05:41 PM.