Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 AM

Cloning Sessions

I'm new. I have built a session with all the neccessary login parts and pieces, IP address and name, etc. Now I need to build 56 more sessions. Is there a quick and easy way to clone my original session and then save it with a new name and new IP address?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-16-2012, 11:48 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the question. The easiest method I can imagine to create sessions is to use Quick Connect to connect to the remote device and make sure that the Save Session option is enabled.

Another easy way to make a copy of a session is to copy the session using Ctrl+C in the Connect dialog, and then use Ctrl+V to paste it 56 times. You can then manually edit the sessions such that they each have the unique information you want them to have.

Any specific details about how you have configured your original session and specifically what you want to change for each session would be helpful.

What have you added to your session that is essential to be included in the new sessions?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730

Last edited by rtb; 10-16-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:59 AM

Hi Todd. The session information from the original session will be identical for all of the other sessions except for the Name and IP address. Logon, password, Terminal, fonts,... everything will be the same.

I will try the CRTL C/V method as you suggest.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 10-16-2012, 12:08 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hold on Tom.

Now that I have more information, I think that using the Default Session in conjunction with Quick Connect dialog may be easier. You can create a session as you need to access a device using this method.

You can make all of the changes you want to the Default Session by pressing the Edit Default Settings... button located in the General / Default Session category of the Global Options dialog. The Quick Connect dialog pulls session data from the Default Session.

To use this, you would need to make sure that Save Session option is enabled on the Quick Connect dialog.

I think that this method might also be an easier long term solution.

Do either of the methods suggested help you accomplish your goal?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730

Last edited by rtb; 10-16-2012 at 12:15 PM.