VanDyke Software Forums

Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Old 04-05-2017, 05:07 PM

Auto login options

Dear all,

We have a stringent admin password policy which requires us to change it every 30 days. As you can imagine this is a total PITA when it comes to having to retype your saved password each and every time I open a new session following an enforced password change.

As I see it I have two options:

1. Add my username and password in the global logon actions

2. Run a login script

So I tried 1 - didn't work. No matter what I entered it continued to prompt me for a password. I must be missing something very simple here, so if someone with a lot of patience could take me through the steps that would be much appreciated.

I also created (borrowed/stole) scripts in python and VBS but whenever I tried to browse to the files everything was greyed out, I was unable to select anything. Again, I'm probably being stupid but if anyone can shed any light...
Old 04-05-2017, 06:17 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Re #1, With SSH sessions, Logon Actions don't kick into gear until after authentication is complete...
UNLESS you have enabled the Display logon prompts in terminal window option (found in the same session options Connection > Logon Actions category).

If you turn on the Display logon prompts in terminal window option, you'll be "prompted" for your credentials within the terminal window, instead of from a pop-up -- thus, allowing Logon Actions to work for authentication via the SSH protocol.
Note that if you have specified a username in your SSH session configuration's Username field in the SSH2 category, you'll never see a username prompt w/in the terminal window (you specified it in session options, so it's already supplied automatically -- no need to prompt for it).

Re #2 (Logon Script). Logon scripts don't get launched with SSH connections until after authentication completes; this timing could explain why that approach didn't work.

Going with Logon Actions in concert with the Display logon prompts in terminal window option enabled is probably your best bet based on my understanding of what you want to accomplish.

Does that work for you?

Quote:
I tried to browse to the files everything was greyed out, I was unable to select anything. Again, I'm probably being stupid but if anyone can shed any light...
Not sure what context you're in here... are you referring to trying to actually run the scripts that you "borrowed"?

Where are the borrowed scripts saved to on your Machine?

.vbs isn't possible on Mac (VBScript is Windows-specific). Only .py files (that contain Python code) will be possible to run as scripts within SecureCRT on the Mac OS X platform.

--Jake
support@vandyke.com
http://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 04-18-2017, 02:59 PM

You're a fantastic person, thank you - working perfectly now.

Please don't tell anyone I tried to run VBScript on a mac
Old 04-18-2017, 03:57 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alimack View Post
You're a fantastic person
That's fantastic! Thanks.

Quote:
thank you - working perfectly now.
Excellent! I'm glad to hear it.

Quote:
Please don't tell anyone I tried to run VBScript on a mac

Urgh. Hard to get this one back in the bag... public forums and all. It's like sneezing; once it's all out, it's extremely difficult to get everything back in where it was before.

--Jake
support@vandyke.com
http://www.vandyke.com/support