Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 05:57 PM

SecureCRT 6.2 on USB

What are the options for putting securecrt on a usb thumb drive. I would like to get all my configs on a usb thumb drive. I saw an article on the site for older versions 4.1 but was wondering if anything is new on this front. Thanks

Alex
Old 03-02-2009, 01:58 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Alex,

There has been progess with regards to running SecureCRT on a USB drive front.

We have a new U3 installer for SecureCRT.

When installed to a U3 smart drive using the SecureCRT U3 installer, SecureCRT saves configuration and settings to the U3 drive, making it completely portable.

You can download a U3 compatible version of SecureCRT at the following location:

http://www.vandyke.com/download/securecrt/download.html
Does this help answer your question?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 09-21-2009, 10:19 AM

How to make SecureCRT portable WITHOUT U3

I do not like U3 and do not want to use it but would still like to make SecureCRT portable.

I used to be able to launch securecrt with a bat file that started with /F and the location of the config directory but this no longer seems to work.

Is there a way to make SecureCRT portable without U3?

E
Old 09-21-2009, 10:22 AM

Never mind. Figured it out.

Forgot to put the .lic file in the securecrt dir.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:35 AM

Hi eleavings,

Thanks for your posts and for the solution. Here is information about running SecureCRT from a USB flash memory drive rather than a U3 drive for anyone who is interested.
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 09-10-2014, 11:48 AM

Couple of questions:

Presently, there's not a "U3 installer version" listed on the installs for 7.2.x. Is it just the regular packages now and it identifies if you're using a flash drive with the installer?

I did go through the old process from the tips page and made the batch file/changes as listed. It *is* working from that method for me, but it doesn't mention about log files. I tried the ..\..\whatever\my\path\is\to\logs\%h etc. type name, where I replaced the static path with drive to the ..\..\ like in the ssh hosts instructions, but that doesn't seem to work to edit it under the global options/default settings within SecureCRT. How do I get log files working dynamically to the USB flash drive as well?

Thanks,
Marianne
Old 09-10-2014, 01:08 PM

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for the post.

With the release of SecureCRT 7.2, there may be an easier method due to some changes that allow for cross-platform compatibility.

My suggestion would be the following:
  • Move the SecureCRT installation folder as a top level folder.
  • Add the configuration folder as it is generated by SecureCRT into the SecureCRT installation folder with no changes.
  • Add a Logs folder to the SecureCRT installation folder and log to that folder.
Here is a representation of my USB drive folder structure:
X:\SECURECRT
+---Scripts
+---Menus
+---Keymaps
+---Config
| +---Sessions
| \---KnownHosts
\---Logs
When configuring logging, just provide an absolute path to the Logs folder in the SecureCRT folder, and SecureCRT will handle things from there.

Does this help?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 09-16-2014, 11:04 PM

That would work only if the drive letter is the same on every computer you plug your drive into, correct? I was wondering if it could be a relative path like the old bat file instructions show on the launch script with seeing the sort variables =./ etc opposed drive: as an absolute path. Also, if it is to be used on both 32 bit and 64 bit computers, can 32 work for both? I was connecting to a vmware view computer today and while I could mount my drive, it failed to launch the app because I have 64 bit version and the view host was not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb View Post
Hi Marianne,
Thanks for the post.

With the release of SecureCRT 7.2, there may be an easier method due to some changes that allow for cross-platform compatibility.

My suggestion would be the following:
  • Move the SecureCRT installation folder as a top level folder.
  • Add the configuration folder as it is generated by SecureCRT into the SecureCRT installation folder with no changes.
  • Add a Logs folder to the SecureCRT installation folder and log to that folder.
Here is a representation of my USB drive folder structure:
X:\SECURECRT
+---Scripts
+---Menus
+---Keymaps
+---Config
| +---Sessions
| \---KnownHosts
\---Logs
When configuring logging, just provide an absolute path to the Logs folder in the SecureCRT folder, and SecureCRT will handle things from there.

Does this help?
Old 09-17-2014, 12:11 PM

Hi Marianne,

The drive letter should not matter. SecureCRT 7.2 will change the absolute path to a relative path automatically.

The 32-bit version of SecureCRT 7.2 should run on both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

Does this help to answer your questions?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730