Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Old 10-27-2016, 09:43 AM

Slow startup and session open using Apple Router

This is a weird one. When starting SecureCRT on my MacBook Pro running OSX 10.9.5, it takes 5-10 seconds to start. Opening various sessions also takes a bit of time. There is also lagging when switching between sessions once they do start.

The weird part is this only happened when using an Apple Router. It has happened in various locations as long as that location had an Apple router.

When using other brands, things work fine.

There are never any spin dumps produced. My computer has been rebooted a number of times.

Any thoughts? I am running 8.0.2 build 1118.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:12 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi bobrek,

With regards to slow to launch:
  • Do you have any printers configured that may not be available presently?

With regards to the delay in opening sessions:
  • What protocol are you using?

• When does the delay occur? (Before authentication? After?)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 10-27-2016, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply

Printers should be available.

The initial delay starts when I first start SecureCRT. Takes perhaps 10 seconds to come up and the Apple spinning color wheel displays while startup is occurring. I have a handful of startup sessions configured. Each time I try and start one of them up, there is another delay - again perhaps 5-10 seconds with the spinning Apple color wheel.

Additional delays also occur when I have switched to another app and then back to SecureCRT.

All of my sessions use SSH2.

EDIT - there will be a second reply. I forgot that replies were not instantaneous and assumed I had neglected to hit 'submit' on this one.

Last edited by bobrek; 10-27-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:17 PM

I thought I had replied to this, but apparently I did not.

First, thanks for the prompt reply to my original post.

In each location where i have used SecureCRT and an Apple router, the printers have been up and available.

The slowness occurs when I first try and start SecureCRT. It takes 10 seconds or so to get to the 'passphrase' screen. After that, any time I try and being up one of my saved sessions, it takes 10 seconds or so for the session to kick in. Subsequent session starts exhibit the same slowness. Note that during all of the slow starts the Apple 'color wheel' is spinning. Switching between the tabs of open sessions also is slow as well as switching back to the SecureCRT app from other apps.

The saved sessions that I select all use SSH2 protocol. The slow sessions startup is al exhibited when trying to create a new session using the same or different protocols.

Again, everything works perfectly on non-Apple routers. I have reset the Apple Airport Express router (as well as completely power cycling) to no avail.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:23 PM

Hi bobrek,

I don't want to rely on "should be" in this case. Having misconfigured or missing printers is a known issue for causing slowness at launch because SecureCRT does poll the printers at startup. This is an issue our developers are working on.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to avoid startup delay caused by missing printer.
Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #12516" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

In the Terminal / Printing category of Global Options, is the printer defined in the Setup section a valid one?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 10-27-2016, 01:39 PM

Hi bobrek,

Apparently my response and your new post were submitted at the same time. Yes, initial posts are moderated.

OK, if you are sure it's not printer related, we'll move on.

However, it does not seem the Apple Router would be a factor when launching SecureCRT at all, unless you have auto sessions configured. In the General / Default Session of Global Options, is Use auto session enabled?

How does the Apple Router enter into the equation?

Is this a device your SSH2 sessions go *through*?

Are your SSH2 connections directly to the Apple Router?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 10-27-2016, 03:21 PM

Honestly, I have no idea how the apple router is related. All I know is the slow behavior is consistent across 2 different Apple routers. The normal behavior is consistent across non-apple routers.

It is ridiculously weird.

Imagine this scenario. Using an Apple router, I start up SecureCRT and see all of the slow behavior I have described. I change to a TP-LINK router (5 minutes later) and everything works perfectly. I change back to Apple - slow, back to TP-LINK, normal.

My brother works at Apple so he has filed a bug report with them and he will also try to duplicate the issue there.

EDIT - Incidentally, this is also on 2 separate MacBooks. I don't have a SecureCRT windows version to test.

Last edited by bobrek; 10-27-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:02 AM

Hi bobrek,

Wow, someone with clout at Apple.

The issue does seem particular to that scenario, so let us know what you find out.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 10-28-2016, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the conversation. I mainly threw this out there in case anyone else runs into a similar problem. I saw one similar post, but it appeared he had a stale SecureCRT process and clearing that out fixed his.

If anything ever comes of it at Apple, I'll be sure and post back here. It is just so odd. I've been in the support side of things for the better part of 30+ years and this is one where I would say that I must be crazy and doing something wrong, so I don't blame you if you feel the same.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:58 AM

Hi bobrek,

Maybe dtruss output will reveal what is happening:

Code:
sudo dtruss -an SecureCRT > ~/Desktop/SecureCRT_dtruss.txt 2>&1

I would not post the resulting output here in the public forum as there may be sensitive data (and it's likely to be quite a large file). If you want us to analyze the output, send it to support@vandyke.com and reference "Attn Brenda - Forum Thread #12516".
NOTICE: The requested troubleshooting data may include sensitive information (usernames, passwords, publicly-accessible host names or IP addresses, etc.).

Please redact sensitive information that would not be appropriate for email communication prior to sending the requested information.

If there is sensitive information that must be conveyed in order to provide a complete picture of the scenario you're facing, please let us know and we will set up a secure upload mechanism that can be used.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730