Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Old 09-08-2016, 02:30 PM

Configuration files from Windows to MAC

Greetings,

I have been using SecureCRT between my laptop and workstation and saving the configuration for all my sessions in a DropBox folder so they are kept upto date between systems. This has been work great until I switched my laptop to a MAC.

There are a number of options that cause issues on the MAC when they are transferred over from Windows, of course. Options, like TFTP Server directories, logging directories, fonts, known hosts, etc.

I also run into the same issue if I export from Windows and import to MAC.

Are there any options on how I could make either an export process or sharing the sessions by DropBox may be more friendly between Windows and Mac?

Yes, if I could ask for everything I would. :-)

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by SunJustWorks; 09-08-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:12 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi SunJustWorks,

Ask away, that's how we make the product better for all of us.

What version of SecureCRT are you using?

Since v7.2.x, there are templated variables designed to make cross-platform support easier, but presently they do only handle default paths for config, install and user data directories.

I have added this thread to the following feature requests in our product enhancement database:
  • Cross-platform configuration: add additional templated paths (logging, upload/download directories, etc.)
  • Support for synchronizing Config folder with dropbox (cloud)
Should a future release of SecureCRT include either feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #12470" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-08-2016, 03:51 PM

Currently using SecureCRT 8.0.3, I will look for the template variables in the manual.

Thank you for the quick response, have a good day!
Old 09-09-2016, 07:36 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi SunJustWorks,

Sorry, for the misunderstanding, I should have explained further. The existing template variables are not really documented because they work behind the scenes. But it's probably not a bad idea to have the info out there so below is a comprehensive explanation of the current functionality.

Note that this functionality has only existed since SecureCRT version 7.2.x.

Quote:
SecureCRT does not currently maintain separate platform-specific values for the same configuration setting.

However, since version 7.2.x, SecureCRT supports cross-platform "substitutions" for well-known paths. In other words, if any path stored in a field within a SecureCRT global or session configuration begins with a well-known path, the value is saved to the INI file(s) in substitution form, not in literal form. This means that if you carefully choose to have your log files stored in a folder that descends from one of these well-known locations, it will be cross-platform compatible.

Here's a list of the "well-known" paths that are saved in substitution format automatically by SecureCRT when the value is written to the INI file (and converted to the actual path on the system when the value is read from the INI file):
  • ${VDS_CONFIG_PATH}
    SecureCRT's config folder path (as defined in Global Options / Configuration Paths category)
    If SecureCRT's configuration path is set to C:\Users\user\AppData\VanDyke\Config, any file-related setting that contains this path will result in the path being substituted with ${VDS_CONFIG_PATH} when saved to the INI file.
    Example: Log file in GUI on Windows is set to C:\Users\user\AppData\VanDyke\Config\Logs\%S\%Y%M%D_%h%m%s_%t_Log.txt
    When written to the .ini file, the above becomes:
    ${VDS_CONFIG_PATH}\Logs\%S\%Y%M%D_%h%m%s_%t_Log.txt

This means that if a user loads this session config on a Mac OS X machine where their configuration folder is set to: /Users/User/Library/Application Support/VanDyke/SecureCRT/Config ...When read in from the INI file, the ${VDS_CONFIG_PATH} is automatically converted to the /Users/User/Lib.../Config path

And therefore, the log files would be saved to /Users/User/Lib.../Config/Logs
  • ${VDS_INSTALL_PATH}
    The location where the SecureCRT application binary itself lives (e.g. where SecureCRT.exe is found, on Windows).

• ${VDS_USER_DATA_PATH}
    The location to the user's My Documents or Documents folder on Mac/Windows platforms. On Linux platforms this resolves to the user's home folder.

In this and other cases, you can combine a substitution with relativism (e.g. ${VDS_USER_DATA_PATH}\..\..\folderB\etc\)

• ${VDS_SSH_DATA_PATH}
    The location of user-specific SSH data (on Windows, this is My Documents; on Mac/Linux, it's the user's .ssh directory)

NOTE: All of the above are handled automatically for you; when you look in the SecureCRT user interface at a field where any component of a path represents the above locations, you'll actually see the *resolved* location -- not the substitution -- whereas if you look inside the INI file of the session configuration, you'll see the substitutions listed above rather than the actual paths.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by jdev; 08-28-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:28 AM
VanDyke Product Director

A change has been made in a pre-beta version of SecureCRT that uses platform-specific settings for options like fonts, window placement, and printer settings. This makes it easier to share settings between Windows and Mac/Linux. If you would like to try it, please email me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen