Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 03:24 PM

Different Profiles

Recently, my company has aquired a new entity, I would like to have my saved sessions on one "profile" and have a seperate "profile" for all thier equipment. I am wondering how I would go about doing this, if it even possible.

Thanks,
Old 10-16-2020, 03:33 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshoe View Post
Recently, my company has aquired a new entity, I would like to have my saved sessions on one "profile" and have a seperate "profile" for all thier equipment. I am wondering how I would go about doing this, if it even possible.
What specific problem are you trying to solve?

Where is the other "profile" currently located?
In what format is the other "profile" stored? Is it a folder, .zip file? .xml file? Something else altogether? (if so, please provide details)

Would it help if you could simply create a folder in your Session Manager and then copy their saved session into that folder?
If you have another entire configuration folder that you want to use, then you could simply launch SecureCRT with the /F command line option telling SecureCRT to load the other "profile". Note that with this scenario, you don't specify the "Sessions" folder as the config folder, you specify the parent folder of "Sessions".
Let us know what specific problem you're trying to solve and provide more details about what you've got, and there may be further assistance we can provide.

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 11-02-2020, 08:42 AM

Jake,

I think the best option for now, until our databases are completely merged, would be easier for cshoe to take my export (the acquired company) and put it under it's own sub folder in the Session Manager. How would we go about doing that?

Thanks,
Will
Old 11-02-2020, 01:36 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sussington View Post
I think the best option for now, until our databases are completely merged, would be easier for cshoe to take my export (the acquired company) and put it under it's own sub folder in the Session Manager. How would we go about doing that?
It appears to me that your goal is likely reflected in the following graphic...
Please let me know if this does *not* reflect your goal.

If this *does* reflect your goal, then what you want to do is
  1. copy the "Sessions" folder from the SecureCRT configuration folder on your machine,
  2. paste it into the "Sessions" folder (not a replacement!) found in the SecureCRT configuration folder on cshoe's machine, and then
  3. rename the child/pasted "Sessions" folder to be reflective of what it is -- for example "_Sussington's Sessions" (I suggest the use of a leading "_" (underscore) character so that the copied folder name appears near the top of the list of folders when sorted alphabetically within the Session Manager).

This copying and pasting would be done completely outside of and entirely independent from SecureCRT; it would be best to have SecureCRT on cshoe's machine closed while performing this pasting activity.

Pictographically, it might look like this...
Copy sussington's Sessions folder into cshoe's Sessions folder:

Rename the pasted Sessions folder so that it means something "special" to cshoe:

--Jake
Attached Images
File Type: png FT14315's Goal.png (146.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: png FT14315 - Copy Sessions folder from sussington to cshoe.png (175.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: png FT14315 - Rename the Copy.png (51.6 KB, 48 views)
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 11-02-2020, 02:26 PM

Jake,

That is exactly what we were looking for. I really appreciate the help and the graphics were very helpful as well.

Best Wishes,
Will

Last edited by jdev; 11-02-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Closed Thread