Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 09-28-2020, 01:23 PM

Label of button keeps changing

Good day.

The labels of 3 of my buttons keep changing. The labels are then replaced by cutting the last 23 characters from the send string and those 23 characters then become the label.

Has anyone experienced this before? Please advise.

Regards,
Bjoern
Old 09-28-2020, 03:03 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi BjoernH,

I'm sorry to hear about this issue you're experiencing. I can't say that I know of this issue occurring before. I'd like to gather some more data about the issue, if you're willing and able.
  • What version of SecureCRT are you using?
  • What OS are you using?
  • How long has this issue been occurring?
  • At what point do the labels change for these buttons? Do the labels change after you edit them, after you use the buttons, or after some other initiating action?
  • Can you please share with me the string you're sending from one of your buttons? Please remove/replace any sensitive data, if there is any.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-29-2020, 09:10 AM

Hi Cameron.

In reply to your questions:

. Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
. SecureCRT Version 8.3.2 (x64 build 1584)
. This has been occurring on one button randomly for a few months now,
but since I've created several (2) more buttons with similar command strings it has become really annoying.
. I haven't actually witnessed the labels change, it usually happens while I'm doing something else.

The string for the showCreated button:
read -p $"Enter the vnf-name, ie: sna1bssdb0001v, ksc1bscas0001v: " vnf;for vnf in `nova list|grep $vnf|awk '{print $4}'`;do echo;echo $vnf;nova show $vnf|grep -E 'created|image|status|updated'|sed 's/\|$//' | sed 's/[ ]*$//'|tr -s ' '|sed 's/\\,/\\n/g'|sed 's/\|//';done\r

What then happens, it somehow cuts this part "/\\n/g'|sed 's/\|//';done\r" off the end off the string and uses that part to change the label with.

Regards,
Bjoern
Old 09-29-2020, 01:56 PM

Hi BjoernH,

Thanks for sharing all of that information.

Since you're running SecureCRT on a server, it does beg the question - are you sharing a configuration folder among multiple people on a team? Or is your configuration folder user-specific?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-29-2020, 03:00 PM

No, my configuration folder is user-specific.

Bjoern
Old 09-29-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjoernH View Post
No, my configuration folder is user-specific.
Alright. In that case, I've asked our DEV/QA team to look into this issue further.

I don't yet have any ETA as to when/if the problem might be resolved, but I will post updates here as they become available. Should you desire direct email notification, please send a message to support@vandyke.com with the subject tag: Attn: Cameron - Forum Thread 14296.

I'm unsure whether any progress will be made on this issue, as v8.3.2 hasn't been under active development since May, 2018, and the current official version of SecureCRT isn't supported on the legacy Windows 2008 server.

As a workaround to potentially prevent the "modification" from occurring (or at least let you get back to a known working condition) would be to decide on one of the following ideas and utilize that as a stop-gap should we never be able to replicate the problem (or should you never be able to upgrade to a newer version of the software on a newer OS):

First, get the buttons set up the way they need to be and verify that all 3 buttons are working right now. Then, close SecureCRT and start it again. Verify that the buttons work as desired. If the buttons are still working as desired, perform one of the following:

Either:

A) Go find the ButtonBarV?.ini file located in the config folder (Global Options > Configuration Paths), and mark that file as Read-Only so that it won't be corrupted.

OR

B) Export your configuration (Tools > Export Settings...) to an .XML file so that you have a backup to restore the setup should the button(s) become corrupted again in the future.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-30-2020, 08:57 AM

Thank you Cameron.

I would really favor "B) Export your configuration (Tools > Export Settings...) to an .XML file", however, I do not see that option under Tools or anywhere else. The only options under Tools relates to Public and Agent Keys.

Regards,
Bjoern
Old 09-30-2020, 10:00 AM

Hello again BjoernH,

I can envision a few reasons why your Tools menu might not have an Export Settings menu item, but we will need switch to email communication in order to avoid exposing sensitive information in the public forums.

Please send email...
  • To: support@vandyke.com
  • Subject: ATTN: Cameron - Forum thread 14296 - Tools Menu
  • In your email message, please include the following:
    • A screen shot of the SecureCRT application with the Tools menu expanded
    • A screen shot of the "About SecureCRT" window (Help > About SecureCRT)
    • Attach a copy of the Global.ini file found in SecureCRT's configuration folder (Global Options > Configuration Paths)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730