Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Old 11-02-2014, 12:44 PM

Is this a bug with SecureCRT and local sessions?

This is on OSX Mavericks..

If I load up SecureCRT and open a local session, my ctrl-c works fine. However, if I create an alias for the local session.. and then I run that by double clicking it (from my desktop for example), then the ctrl-c modifier will not work. You can test this by running a command like "find /" and then try to interrupt it with ctrl-c.

I wanted to make sure this was not an issue with something specific to my user account.. so I created a new user on my mac with a fresh copy of SecureCRT to test this and I get the same results.

This basically renders SecureCRT useless to me because I need to start local terminal sessions through shell scripts or aliases.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:30 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi ecsrun,

Thanks for the post. I would like to see if we can find out what might be happening.

What version of SecureCRT are you using?

How are you starting a local shell manually?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 11-03-2014, 12:01 PM

The version is 7.3.0 (build 657).

If you right click on the local shell connection in session manager and "make alias". The next time you launch SecureCRT by using the alias, ctrl-c stops working.

If you look at the alias, you can see the command that is used to start SecureCRT. Here is my example:

#!/bin/sh
/Applications/SecureCRT.app/Contents/MacOS/SecureCRT /S "ecsrun-mac" &

If I open up the mac terminal application and run the command to start secureCRT I also get the EXACT same problem. Interestingly enough, non-local sessions do not have this problem.. If I create an alias or use the terminal to start a session that connects out to another machine through SSH, ctrl-c works fine.

Can you verify that you were able to recreate this? I have tried this on two different macs now and they both exhibit the same problem.

Thanks,
Old 11-03-2014, 12:12 PM

I take back one piece from my last post.. Starting local session from alias = ctrl-c not working. If I start the local session directly from an existing securecrt window or from the mac terminal then ctrl-c DOES work.

Example of terminal command line:
/Applications/SecureCRT.app/Contents/MacOS/SecureCRT /S "ecsrun-mac" &

So the different here appears to be how you start the shortcut / script.. In my case, I want to be able to bind a hotkey to call the script or alias in question. So I press a hot key on my keyboard and SecureCRT pops up and creates the connection. This is how I always used the product on Windows before I switched to Mac, the only difference being that on Mac I need local shell windows in addition to remote ones.

Thanks,
Old 11-03-2014, 01:08 PM

Hi ecsrun,

Thanks for the updates. I don't see this issue on Mavericks or Yosemite.

My guess is that this is due to a difference in our environments.

Does your saved session have any mapped keys in the Terminal / Emulation / Mapped Keys category of the Session Options dialog?

Do you have any mapped keys at the OS level for SecureCRT?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 11-03-2014, 01:19 PM

No I do not have any mapped keys but I also created a brand new user account on my mac just to test this.

Even with a new (system) user, I experience the same issue. I don't think settings apply across users or do they?

How are you measuring if ctrl-c is working? Even with the alias or shortcut, if I press ctrl-c in the securecrt terminal window, it does register a key press.. It bumps to a new line (similar to pressing enter). However, if I run a command like "find /" and then try to interrupt it, it will not. So ctrl-c is sending something to the securecrt window - just not the expected string. This only happens with local sessions - not remote SSH sessions.

Regards,
Old 11-03-2014, 04:49 PM

Hi ecsrun,

I am determining that Ctrl+C is working by running the find command you suggested.

I don't see a difference when using a saved session manually or the alias.

How did you create the session "ecsrun-mac"?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 11-04-2014, 02:54 PM

I go to 'file' then 'connect' which opens session manager. Right click on "sessions" and go to "new session".

For protocol, select Local Shell. For the name, I type in whatever.. in this example "test-shell". Then I click done.

Once see the new session in the session manager, I right click on it ("test-shell") and go to the option "make alias". It asks me for the name, and I just use the same name for the alias as the session "test-shell". Once this is done, a new icon appears on my desktop which is the alias. I double click that alias to start a new securecrt window and the ctrl-c does not work in this new terminal window.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:05 PM

Hello ecsrun,

Todd is not available.

I was able to replicate your results (on Yosemite). I am not certain what factors may be at play here regarding the alias, so I have submitted this behavior for investigation by the development team. Should progress be made toward a resolution, or further information be requested, I will post in this thread.

If you prefer direct e-mail notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Bug Report - Forum Thread #11764" in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-05-2014, 05:28 PM

Thank you. I am looking forward to a reply.. it makes it difficult me to use the product if I cannot call sessions from aliases (e.g., hotkeys).

Is it a relatively long development cycle to get a bug fix?

Thx,
Old 11-06-2014, 08:02 AM

Hello ecsrun,

I cannot exactly say, as I don't know all the factors involved. I will post here when I have further news.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 01-08-2015, 11:15 AM

Hello ecsrun,

I have also sent you an email.

We have a new build of SecureCRT we believe resolves this issue (unable to interrupt output in a local shell session started from an alias).

Please refer to the email I sent you for the information to download the new build.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730