Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 02:29 PM

Sessions from SecureCRT Windows to Mac Version

Hello,

I use SecureCRT Windows at work and have quite a lot of sessions saved in the config folder. Is there a way to move them to the Mac version that I'm using at home or do I just have to recreate them all on the Mac?

Thanks. Q.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:57 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Q,

You can copy the SecureCRT config for use on another computer using the instructions below.
  • Install SecureCRT on the new (destination) computer, and run it. Take note of the "Configuration folder" location as specified in Options / Global Options / General.

• On the source computer, open the Global Options dialog and navigate to the General category and make a note of the path indicated in the Configuration folder field. The configuration folder is set the first time SecureCRT is run after installation. If you choose the default location when running SecureCRT for the first time after installation, the configuration folder will likely be as follows:
    XP
    C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\VanDyke\Config

Vista/Windows 7
    C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\VanDyke\Config

MacOS
    /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/VanDyke/SecureCRT/Config
  • Close all instances of SecureCRT on both the source and the destination computers.

• Copy the contents (including sub-folders) of the Configuration folder on the old computer to the Configuration folder on the new computer.
You would then license the new installation using the information you have.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 12-08-2011, 12:49 PM

This work on Lion?

I followed the instructions above... when I open SecureCRT on my mac, My saved sessions are not there, its empty.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:59 PM

Hello jerrtx,

Just to clarify, in the General category of SecureCRT's Global Options, the location pointed to in the configuration folder field ends in \Config, correct?

If you go to the config folder location, is there a Sessions subfolder (directory) contained within Config?

It is that directory that would contain the actual session .ini files. Then, when you open the Connect dialog from within SecureCRT, you should see those sessions as available.

If those steps are verified and you still do not see the sessions, how did you move the config from the Windows machine to the Mac OS machine?

I just want to make sure there is not some way that the encoding was changed so the files are not recognized.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 12-08-2011, 02:50 PM

I opened a path to my PC, browsed to the folder where they were stored and did a copy/paste.

Wondering if I should do an uninstall and then reinstall. I think I had secureCRT open when I copied the files over... perhaps that caused it to corrupt??
Old 12-08-2011, 03:11 PM

Hello jerrtx,

Would you please clarify this statement?

Quote:
I opened a path to my PC, browsed to the folder where they were stored and did a copy/paste.
If you copied the path as found in the General category of Global Options on your SecureCRT/Windows installation, then pasted that into the address bar of a Windows Explore window you would have been inside the config folder.

The folder you want to transfer from one machine to the other is the enclosing config folder. Inside the config folder are files such as Global.ini, SSH2.ini, Color Schemes.ini, etc in addition to the Sessions subfolder. These loose files are are also a part of SecureCRT's Config.

It would not matter if SecureCRT was open as long as you copied the files, as opposed to opening them for editing.

Please verify the steps you took to copy the config based on the above information.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 12-08-2011, 03:18 PM

sure, i grabbed the contents of the config folder off of my PC and copied everything to the config folder on the mac. I see all of the files, if I open the sessions folder, I see the entries that i need, yet when I open SecureCRT, the only session that is listed is one called Terminal that I created yesterday.

Should I delete everything from the config folder on the mac and then re-copy the files from my PC again??

Thanks,

John
Old 12-08-2011, 03:25 PM

ok, figured it out....

In the general config, it was looking for a path of /users/john/library/App.....

I dont have a Library directory, so my path that i dumped them to was

/library/application support/vandyke/SecureCRT

once I re-pointed the path to that, it worked just fine.

Thx for your help!!
Old 12-08-2011, 03:31 PM

Hi John,

That's right, Lion OS makes the user's Library invisible by default.

I am glad to hear you resolved the issue. Thanks for posting the update.

As a note, I have added this thread to a feature request in our development database for the ability to import, export, and backup sessions. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct e-mail notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #6682" in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by bgagnon; 12-08-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 08-21-2014, 03:48 PM

Hi All,

The ability to export a SecureCRT configuration to and import it from an XML file has been added to SecureCRT 7.3. You can download the beta from the following location:
http://www.vandyke.com/download/securecrt/beta.html
The new options are located in the Tools menu.

We welcome any feedback about the new feature.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 10-16-2014, 08:08 AM

Macintosh SecureCRT import

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb View Post
Hi All,

The ability to export a SecureCRT configuration to and import it from an XML file has been added to SecureCRT 7.3. You can download the beta from the following location:
http://www.vandyke.com/download/securecrt/beta.html
The new options are located in the Tools menu.

We welcome any feedback about the new feature.
Thank you for adding XML to the import. A couple of things that i wanted you to know. The import of a PC XML is only partially working. I am getting most of the data but the host name with the IP address is not importing into the software. So it is asking me for a hostname when i click on the field.

Two it would be nice to have configuration paths working. The Mac has a different file path with SMB so things get messed up when attaching to the same file on a file server were the PC file is located. The path seems to be a issue on a server where a mac needs to communicate with a Samba connection.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:15 AM

Hi jlocker,

Thanks for the post.
Quote:
The import of a PC XML is only partially working. I am getting most of the data but the host name with the IP address is not importing into the software. So it is asking me for a hostname when i click on the field.
Would you provide the exact steps you are taking to reproduce the issue where the hostname is not imported?
Quote:
The Mac has a different file path with SMB so things get messed up when attaching to the same file on a file server were the PC file is located. The path seems to be a issue on a server where a mac needs to communicate with a Samba connection.
Would you provide specific details about this issue as well?

What specific paths are not working?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730