Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 10-29-2018, 02:58 AM

SecureCRT broken port forwarding

For a SSH session with port forwarding enabled

if the SSH session hangs (still showing green check mark in the tab but not responding), it does not release the local binding port even if the session (tab) is closed. With the tab closed, netstat still shows SecureCRT listening on the port. And when I reopen the SSH session, new session does not (fails to) bind on the port because it is still in use. So the only way to recover is to restart SecureCRT, which is very inconvenient.

What mechanism does SecureCRT use to detect a hang session (green check mark to red)? On Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, when the computer wakes up from sleep, SecureCRT never declares hang SSH session as discounted.

SecureCRT 8.3.3
Old 10-29-2018, 08:55 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi realdreams,

I'm sorry you're having trouble. I would like to see if we're better served by troubleshooting the issue (SSH session hanging) than by troubleshooting the symptom (releasing local port). Can you elaborate on the hanging behavior you're seeing? Is there a set of steps I could take to create this behavior? It sounds like this may be occurring after the Ubuntu machine has gone into a suspend state then been restored, is that the case?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 10-29-2018, 10:53 PM

Yes. If the session still has a green check mark after returning from suspend, it does not release the port binding despite the session is actually dead.

One workaround I found is to right click and disconnect the session. After a few tries if green check mark turn red, upon reconnect port forwarding would work again. But if I close the hang session with a green check mark, SecureCRT would not release the port until I restart SecureCRT
Old 10-30-2018, 12:34 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi realdreams,

Thanks for the additional information. I have been able to recreate the behavior where the port is not released after closing the tab. I have asked our QA/DEV team to review the issue. I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I have any additional information.

If you would like to be contacted directly please send an email to Support@Vandyke.com with "Attn: Eric Forum Post 13301" in the subject line.

In the meantime, we may be able to work around the issue by forcing SecureCRT to close the channel on disconnect. By default SecureCRT waits for the remote server to confirm the close. If the remote server never confirms, the channel can remain open.

To force the close navigate to Options > Session Options > SSH2 > Advanced. Here you will need to enable the Force session channel to close on disconnect option.

With this option enabled I expect that closing the tab or right clicking and choosing Disconnect, once, will release the port.

Does making this change free up the port as expected?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730