Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 03-11-2019, 02:09 AM

Window/Title bar

I like to specify the name of the window (shorter than user@host - they're not so informative). I found the Session Options -> Terminal -> Appearance -> Window -> Title bar setting. This worked fine.

Then I changed the background color for a tab group (changed many session at the same time).

Then the titles was lost (reverted back to default), but in the session options the check-box was stilled checked and the title still in place. So it almost worked to do a "mass-change" but to keep the fields which is specific to each session. I report this a sort of bug, although I understand that it is perhaps outside of scope. If it can be fixed later, it would be an improvement to the product.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:45 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi mortensi,

What version of SecureCRT is installed?

Please list the explicit steps to replicate the issue.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 03-19-2019, 09:04 AM

I'm also experiencing the same issues on a version 8.5.2 (x64 build 1799) running on Windows 10 x64 version.

I was able to define the Title Bar and saved session.
Then, close the session and re-open the session.
I was able to see the title bar which it was specified.
And then, modified some other settings within the session options and then, closed and re-open the session.
However, the Title Bar has gone back to the default settings even though the check box and title bar characters are still intact in the session options.

Since then, I've tried to remove and type it again and uncheck and recheck and save the sessions in between and closed and re-open.

Whatever I have tried to bring the Title Bar again, none of that worked.

I've also checked the session INI file and it's all there and active.
D:"Display Tab"=00000001
S:"Display Tab String"=Session Name

What can we do to fix this problem/bug?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:25 AM

Hi cyberkidz,

At this point, I still do not know what Mortensi's issue is.

I also do not have clear steps to replicate.

Where are you defining "Title bar"?

Because the INI options you have listed are related to the tab caption, not the title bar and if "Title bar" has been configured that will take precedence. As a note, there's about 5 different ways to change tab caption. Some of them are permanent and some are not.

What is your goal?

Here's what I did to test if Title bar changes are saved

In the Terminal / Appearance / Window category of Session Options, I set Title bar to This Is Title Bar. Both tab caption and title bar reflected that name. I then closed my session, when I reopened it both title bar/tab caption *still* reflect that name.

Please list your explicit steps and what the results are that you think are a bug.

One configuration option you may be overlooking that dynamically will change your tab caption is escape sequences sent by the remote. If that is what is happening and what is undesirable behavior, then enable the Ignore window title change requests option in the Terminal / Emulation / Advanced category of Session Options.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 03-19-2019, 10:03 AM

Hi Brenda!

Thank you so much for your support and guidance!
It appears that when I enable the "Ignore window title change requests option", the Title Bar stayed as I specified and expected!

It's working fine for me! Now I can differentiate between the tab to determine which session I'm on in friendly name.

Thank you again!
Old 03-19-2019, 10:33 AM

Hi cyberkidz,

I am glad to hear enabling the option did the trick for you.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to enable Ignore window title change requests option by default. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #13441" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Tags
title mass-change