Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Old 03-22-2019, 01:32 PM

Telnet handler on Chrome is lost

I am running Mojave 10.14.3 and SecureCRT 8.5.3, when I first installed it, SecureCRT prompted to become the default telnet handler. This worked fine for months, until one day it simply stopped working, I checked the forums and tried everything until I installed iTerm, it did the same prompt and at that point, SecureCRT requested to become default again when I rebooted.
Today the issue has reappeared and I feel pretty frustated because this has happened on several version of Mac and SecureCRT as well.

It seems that when Chrome upgrades it loses the handler it had and won't restore it again, with Firefox I can select the handler everytime, but Chrome won't.

Thanks in advance for your support.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:07 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi exyl3d,

Firefox is a red herring because it keeps its own URL Schema to App Handler mappings, rather than using the OS-mapped handlers.

Logically, it would seem that if the only remaining variable is a newer version of Chrome, that perhaps Chrome is causing the problem -- after all, SecureCRT is happily running unaware of Chrome being updated. However, sometimes reality can defy logic

If you set iTerm as the default telnet handler, and then upgrade Chrome, does Chrome continue to use iTerm as the default telnet handler without interruption, or do you have to do the same thing with iTerm as with SecureCRT?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 03-25-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdmann View Post
Hi exyl3d,

Firefox is a red herring because it keeps its own URL Schema to App Handler mappings, rather than using the OS-mapped handlers.

Logically, it would seem that if the only remaining variable is a newer version of Chrome, that perhaps Chrome is causing the problem -- after all, SecureCRT is happily running unaware of Chrome being updated. However, sometimes reality can defy logic

If you set iTerm as the default telnet handler, and then upgrade Chrome, does Chrome continue to use iTerm as the default telnet handler without interruption, or do you have to do the same thing with iTerm as with SecureCRT?
I already set iTerm to default, but is still not choosing it either, so at this point it tries to use command telnet instead of trying to use an application.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:34 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi exyl3d,

If you are also experiencing the behavior with iTerm, then the issue is not a bug in SecureCRT.

I recommend reaching out to Google or Apple support to continue troubleshooting why the default handler is being reset every time that you upgrade Google Chrome.

Have a great day!

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730