Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Old 07-18-2017, 02:21 PM

Cool SecureCRT Configuration for AWS with PEM

I am looking for documentation on "how" to configure a session using SSH to AWS which requires the configuration of a local PEM key for authentication access.

This is the document link on the AWS support page but for PUTTY. I am looking for the configuration setup that is compatible with SecureCRT for AWS.

Thanks in advance.

Christopher
Old 07-18-2017, 02:38 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Christopher,

See the Dialogs / Public Key Properties Dialog topic in SecureCRT's Help file.

It reads in part:
Quote:
To use an Amazon EC2 "key pair" with SecureCRT, specify the private key file of the key pair generated by Amazon as the identity or certificate file. This file typically has a .pem extension.
If you want this to be a global configuration, you would configure it in the SSH2 category of Global Options.

If you want it to be session-specific, go to the Connection / SSH2 category of Session Options, choose the PublicKey authentication type, then press the Properties... button. You probably want the PublicKey auth method at the top of the list as well.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 10-16-2017, 11:08 PM

Having problem connecting to AWS with PEM

I came across this post as I'm having the same problem.
I followed instruction found in the Dialogs / Public Key Properties Dialog topic in SecureCRT's Help file.

My environment is (some of strings have been modified to hide my identity, etc)

PEM file is located as following
/Users/xyz/.ssh/test.pem

I configured Secure CRT session settings as following:
Using SSH2
Connecting to AWS server host name
Port 22
Authentication = Publickey is checked (all others are unchecked)
Properties = Use session public key setting is selected
Use identity or certificate file is selected
Path is entered as /Users/xyz/.ssh/test.pem

When I connect, I get the following error

The private key file could not be found: /Users/xyz/.ssh/test.pem

Note that the public key file and private key file must have the same name
(e.g., "Identity.pub" and "Identity") and must be located in the same folder.

Unknown file format.

Can someone help me with this ?

Thanks
Rocky Tsujio
Old 10-17-2017, 08:01 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Rocky,

What version of SecureCRT are you using?

On what specific Mac OS?

It's often useful to see trace options output which provides debugging information that may help us better understand the problem that you're experiencing.

To enable trace options output:
  • First, open SecureCRT's main File pull-down menu and select Trace Options. If you open the File pull down menu again you should see a checkmark next to Trace Options, indicating that troubleshooting output is now enabled.
  • Next, connect to the remote machine. With trace options enabled, you will notice debugging information displayed in the terminal window that isn't normally there by default when SecureCRT is attempting to establish a connection, and at certain times throughout the lifetime of the connection.
  • Once the problem occurs, please right-click inside the terminal window and choose Select All, then right-click again and choose Copy to transfer the information to the clipboard.
  • Finally, open a text editor, paste the information from the clipboard into the editor program, and save it as a text file.
Since trace options can contain sensitive information, feel free to send it as an attachment via email to support@vandyke.com. Please reference "Attn Brenda - Forum Thread #12755" in the subject line.

NOTICE: The requested troubleshooting data may include sensitive information (usernames, passwords, publicly-accessible host names or IP addresses, etc.).

Please redact sensitive information that would not be appropriate for email communication prior to sending the requested information.

If there is sensitive information that must be conveyed in order to provide a complete picture of the scenario you're facing, please let us know and we will set up a secure upload mechanism that can be used.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Tags
aws pem