Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 03-13-2021, 08:31 AM

Auto Open Tabs but do not connect

I'm looking for a way to start SecureCRT and open many tabs, but not to connect to those sessions. Is this possible? I am running version 8.2.0.

Here are the details:

I currently have SecureCRT set to automatically open many session on launch using the Default Session Setup:Use auto session. Each of these sessions all have a Logon script defined which prompts for a one time password on connect.

This works well as long as I don't quit out of SecureCRT. When I need to connect a session, I just click on the tab, hit enter and I am prompted for the one time password and it connects.

The problem occurs when I start SecureCRT fresh, it opens all the tabs like I want, but then it gives me all the password prompts and I cannot provide passwords fast enough before the server times out. I also have to wait for the last session password to be verified before entering the next or the next one will fail. This often results in my login getting disabled due to too many login attempts.

How can I have these tabs automatically open on startup, but not connect while maintain the usability of them connecting when I hit enter.

Thanks,
WesR
Old 03-15-2021, 07:40 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Enable the option: Connect to multiple sessions sequentially

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesR View Post
The problem occurs when I start SecureCRT fresh, it opens all the tabs like I want, but then it gives me all the password prompts and I cannot provide passwords fast enough before the server times out. I also have to wait for the last session password to be verified before entering the next or the next one will fail. This often results in my login getting disabled due to too many login attempts.
By default, SecureCRT will attempt to connect to multiple sessions all at once (in parallel).

There is a way to tell SecureCRT to connect to multiple sessions sequentially -- rather than in parallel -- so that you can handle the authentication for the each prior connection before each subsequent connection is even attempted.

You can change the default behavior in SecureCRT by enabling the Connect to multiple sessions sequentially option located within Global Options' Terminal / Advanced category.
If you enable the Connect to multiple sessions sequentially option and restart your SecureCRT application, does that give you a much better sequence to getting connected to your auto-start sessions?

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 03-15-2021, 08:39 AM

Auto Open Tabs but do not connect

Thanks, this seems like it will help a lot.

I would still like to be able to open all the tabs without autoconnecting since it will take quite a while to log into everyone of them.

WesR
Old 03-15-2021, 09:39 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesR View Post
I would still like to be able to open all the tabs without autoconnecting since it will take quite a while to log into everyone of them.
SecureCRT doesn't currently provide an "Open auto-session tabs but don't connect" option.

I've added a feature request on your behalf for functionality that would do exactly what you want: Open auto-sessions, but do not connect! Although the product director may evaluate it for potential inclusion in some future release, I don't yet have any ETA for when or even if this might ever become available. However, if something along these lines becomes available, we will be happy to post news of it here.

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 03-15-2021, 10:45 AM

Thanks much.

I've always gotten great support for SecureCRT and this is no exception!

WesR