Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 01-27-2018, 10:20 PM

Question Q: Can a Windows license be used with the Linux client?

Howdy Forum,

I recently discovered that VanDyke has a SecureCRT client for Linux and really, REALLY want to use it. Can I use my Windows license with the Linux client or do I need to purchase a separate license for Linux?

My primary desktop is now RHEL so I won't going back to Windows...ever!

-redhatnation
Old 01-28-2018, 06:28 AM

As far as I know you can use your existing license also on your linux machine, but not concurrently on more than one machine per license.

Please keep in mind that I am not a representative of VanDyke Software and this is my personal understanding of the license terms.

Best Regards,
Frank
Old 01-29-2018, 08:31 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi redhatnation,

Flohse hit the nail on the head.

A SecureCRT license is not currently platform-specific, but the license usage restrictions set forth in section three (3) of the SecureCRT End User License Agreement still apply:

3. USE AND EVALUATION PERIOD. You may use one copy of this Software on one client computer. For the purposes of this agreement, "computer" means a physical device or a virtual machine. A copy of this Software is considered "in use" when loaded into main memory (i.e., RAM). You may also use a copy of the Software on one additional computer, provided you make certain only one copy of the Software is "in use" at a time. You may use an evaluation copy of the Software for only thirty (30) days in order to determine whether to purchase the Software.

If SecureCRT is only running on one machine at any given time, then a SecureCRT license can legally be used to register SecureCRT on one (1) secondary Windows/Mac/Linux machine.

However, if SecureCRT needs to be running on multiple machines ever at the same time, a separate SecureCRT license must be purchased for each machine (regardless of OS platform).

Note: This usage policy is governed by the current license agreement for SecureCRT, and is subject to change in future releases of SecureCRT.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 02-01-2018, 02:06 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for the info

Hi Frank and Eric,

That is great news! Thanks for the very helpful info. You've made a customer very happy.

Best Regards,

-redhatnation