Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 03-29-2016, 08:51 AM

SCRT - Session Options Dialog is application modal

I just had an issue where I had two windows open one which had the sessions dialog open.

I happened to hide that window and went to work on the other one but nothing would respond, it was as though the Secure CRT has locked up, until I realised the session options dialog for the other window was the issue.

It appears that the dialog is application modal instead of window modal, which is quite confusing when working with independent windows.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:48 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Killing,

I can make a feature request if you like, but the reasoning behind that is, all instances/windows of SecureCRT share the same config (unless started with /F). Therefore a change to Session Options could affect the session connected in another instance. So this is a guard against creating a race condition where a user might save changes to a session that affects another instance. Especially considering the default setting under Options menu is Auto Save Options, which means when OK is pressed on the Session Options dialog, any changes are written out to the corresponding INI file.

Does this help clarify?

Do you want me to create a feature request to make the Session Options dialog window/instance modal instead of application modal?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 03-29-2016, 10:13 AM

Its not a problem that it is application modal, however it is confusing when the other window just does nothing.

Typically in this situation when you try to do something on the other window the dialog will be displayed / flashed. This happens when you try to access the window that triggered the dialog, but not when you try to access another window it doesn't.

An extreme case for this is if you cover up the window with the dialog open and try to access another window. The dialog stays hidden and to the user it seems like the window has become totally unresponsive / crashed.

In this situation I would expect the dialog to be brought to the foreground and optionally flash indicating it requires input. Add multiple displays to the picture, which is more and more common, and you get the same issue even without it covering the window.

Does that explain the problem better?
Old 03-29-2016, 11:28 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Killing,

Gotcha, good point.

I have created a feature request on your behalf in our product enhancement database to bring Session Options to front or flash it if multiple instances of SecureCRT are running and Session Options has lost focus. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #12301" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730