Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 04-19-2017, 10:56 AM

SecureCRT - Leaving Session Hostname Blank

I'm starting to use secureCRT fairly heavily with AWS, to spin up and use EC2 instances.

However, the issue I'm running into is no easy way to setup a saved session with my key pair needed to connect, without modifying the session settings each time. What I would like for secureCRT to do is NOT save the session hostname. If I manually remove the hostname, then next time I connect using the saved session it does a popup asking for hostname/IP, which works great. However, I have to manually clear that hostname everytime, or edit it before trying to connect.

Is there someway to have secureCRT not try to be so helpful when I purposely want to keep the hostname blank (as it is always changing in my case). The IP/hostname I'm connecting to is always different, but the public key and sessions settings I like do not change, so wanting to take advantage of saved sessions if possible.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:23 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi HelpSeth,

One option may be to modify your Default Session to reflect the settings you would like to use then use the Quick Connect to start your new sessions. This would allow you to configure all of the settings while leaving the hostname blank.

Here are some links to a tip and a video that provide more details about using the Default session to make mass changes to multiple sessions:
https://www.vandyke.com/support/tips/defaultset.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RbuZn9L48g

Be aware that the Default Session is what SecureCRT uses as a "base" when creating a new session, so changes made here will impact all future new sessions.

Once the Default Session has been setup the way you want, simply use the Quick Connect option to launch new sessions. These sessions will have all the settings from the Default Session but will not have a hostname specified.

Does this help get you the behavior you are looking for?
Attached Images
File Type: png QuickConnect.png (5.7 KB, 358 views)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730