Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 11-13-2018, 06:18 PM

Tab Completion and Paste with right click/Copy with selection in Command Window

Hello,

Just started using SecureCRT just recently based on a co-worker using it for a long time, and have nothing but good things to say.

I have been using the Command Window, along with the "Send commands to all sessions" option. Typically when I am doing this, I am the same base OS, such as all sessions are CentOS, or all sessions are ESXi, etc. I have to run the same commands on multiple sessions, so this is very helpful.

Two Features that would make SecureCRT pretty much perfect, would be `Tab Completion` and `Paste with right click/Copy with selection`.

The second feature set could be an option that is turned on/ff in the settings.

The tab completion one would argue, "Well, you have multiple sessions open, one might not have the same x here, or y there." So they way I would implement this is out of the sessions open, one is selected to be the primary session, and the tab completion is based on that session. When you send the command to all the sessions, if something was wrong, it just wouldn't work in that particular session.

Thanks!
-Trey
Old 11-14-2018, 07:37 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Trey,

Welcome to SecureCRT and thanks for the positive feedback!

What version are you using?

Quote:
Two Features that would make SecureCRT pretty much perfect, would be `Tab Completion` and `Paste with right click/Copy with selection`.
Are both of these in relation to their use in the Command window only?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-14-2018, 10:08 AM

Brenda,

I am using the below version on Windows 10:
Version 8.5.1 (x64 build 1764) - Official Release - September 27, 2018

And correct, both of these would be in relation to the Command Window.

-Trey
Old 11-14-2018, 10:12 AM

Hi Trey,

Thanks for the clarification. The tab completion should currently be possible if you enable Send Characters Immediately:

Changes in SecureCRT 8.0 (Beta 1) -- January 28, 2016
-----------------------------------------------------
New features:

• Added a "Send Characters Immediately" mode to the Command window, which makes it possible to do the following in one or multiple sessions: stop commands using CTRL+C, edit files using an editor such as vi, send escape sequences, and do tab completion.

For the copy/paste options, I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to add Command window support for copy on select and paste on middle button. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #13316" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-14-2018, 10:35 AM

Brenda,

Very nice! I saw that option, but didn't really know what it did. But it works perfectly. Thanks.

-Trey
Old 11-14-2018, 11:34 AM

Hi Trey,

So you are already familiar with Command window, but, since there are some additional resources in the info below I left it in this list of some of our favorites. Maybe you can razzle-dazzle your colleague with a feature he/she is not aware of.

The Command Window
--> View > Command Window
Need to send the same command to multiple hosts you're connected to in SecureCRT? This allows you to do that. No more copy > paste > (activate next tab) > paste > (activate next tab)... routine. Just open the Command window and right-click inside it to enable the Send commands to all sessions behavior.

Here's a video.

Need to perform the exact same sequence of steps on all the machines that are currently connected, using the first "tab" as your master and broadcasting all of your keystrokes to each host simultaneously? Combine the Send commands to all sessions option I've already described with the Send characters immediately, and you won't even see what's in the Command window... it simply acts as a transparent input mechanism to all your connected hosts in the same SecureCRT window. Time $aving$ .

The Button Bar
--> View > Button bar
Have to run a command multiple times every day, week after week? Frustrated with typos when you're keying in those more-complex commands? Use the button bar to map buttons to send these commands for you. Instead of spending time typing, you can click your way through many of the most common tasks you need to perform.

Also: Shift+Click (since v7.1) a button to have that button's action applied simultaneously to all your connected tabs (including running a script simultaneously on all open tabs in the same window). Check out the button bar enhancements video to see this and other tips related to SecureCRT's button bar.

Here's the original button bar video.

Session Manager and its 'Filter' field
--> Alt+I
So you imported/created a number of sessions. Now that you have them all available, you spend a little time trying to find that one session you need to connect to (all the time stressing about the phone might ring and you'll get interrupted before you can find it). Instead of hunting for it visually, just press Alt+I, which will open the Session Manager & put keyboard focus in the Filter field. Just start typing the letters that make up some portion of the session name, and everything else that doesn't match will be hidden so that you can easily see those sessions that do match.

Note: New as of version 8.3...
A close alternative to this is SecureCRT's Connect bar. It's accessible through the Alt+R (Cmd+R on macOS) keyboard shortcut, and allows you to type in anything that you want to get connected to (IP address, hostname, existing session name). If you happen to type in any portion of an existing session name, the field expands into an auto-complete list that you can see and choose from to quickly get connected to one of your existing sessions. What's cool about this Connect bar is that it's available without taking up much real estate -- so you don't have to have the Session Manager open to take advantage of filtering through existing sessions.

Here's a link to a video showing you the power of the Connect Bar in SecureCRT.

Scripting
--> Lots of examples available for you to peruse

Keyword Highlighting
--> This one's really cool if you like color for aiding in your pattern-matching where you need to spot things that are important.
For example: Want the word Error to always appear on the screen in red? Or how about Failed or down, etc.? This is where keyword highlighting can help... and with support for regular expression highlighting (presently Windows only, as of v8.6 available in SecureCRT/Linux also), words can be highlighted by specifying a pattern (so you can color IP addresses for easy detection, for example).

Here's a pretty good discussion on it
, with some screenshots from forum community member, Casey.

And a YouTube video about importing a Keyword list, as well as one about keyword highlighting in general.

Note: Check out our YouTube channel
where you can find even more videos about features
in SecureCRT that you might find helpful.

In fact, here's a link to the SecureCRT Training Series video playlist.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by bgagnon; 02-28-2019 at 09:46 AM.