Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > File Transfer

Notices

Old 10-21-2008, 04:50 AM

SFTP root is not /

I have configured VShell 3.5 to have a root that points to E:\SFTP\Users\%USER%. This is aliased 'SFTP_ROOT'. There are Windows folders underneath each %USER% folder, called temp and final.

When I log into the server, I am in the correct folder, but the alias is visible to the end user, i.e. if I do
Code:
ls /
, I see
Code:
/SFTP_ROOT
instead of
Code:
/temp
/final
This is not the case in our v2.5 instance (from which we are 'upgrading') and is causing our end users some confusion.

I have tried specifying the SFTP root's alias as '/', but it will not let me.

I don't want to have to create multiple roots with the 'Use single Virtual Root' option, as I would have to create one every time we wanted to expose a new Windows folder, which seems horrendously counter-productive.

I just want it to work like v2.5 did.

J.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:55 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi jimbobmcgee,

In my testing with VShell 2.5, the following command yields a list of my SFTP roots:

Code:
ls /

When a user connects to VShell, they are (by default) placed in the first available root. This would be 'SFTP_Root' in your case. Above the 'SFTP_ROOT' root is a virtual '/' directory. This '/' directory allows a client to change directories up one level so that they can then get into the other root, should they have one defined. Thus the 'ls /' command should return a list of the virtual roots defined for that user.

Can you explain more about what you saw returned from VShell 2.5 when issuing the following command?

Code:
ls /
Old 10-21-2008, 08:49 AM

Hi Kevin;

I have uploaded screen grabs of the SFTP Roots screen in both 2.5 and 3.5 and the results of pwd, ls . and ls / in both.

As you can see, the SFTP_ROOT alias is plain to see on the new server; essentially I need the results of ls . to match those of ls / (when first logged in).

I hope there's a quick answer to this -- I was due to have this in production by 16:00 and its 15:46 now

J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old config.jpg (44.4 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg new config.jpg (47.7 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg sftp to old.jpg (26.4 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg sftp to new.jpg (24.8 KB, 390 views)
Old 10-21-2008, 09:07 AM

Hi jimbobmcgee,

Thanks for the screenshots.

I was able to reproduce the exact behavior you are reporting when using the OpenSSH 'sftp' client.

To configure VShell 3.5 virtual root behavior to match that of 2.5, you will need to change the value following registry key to 1:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VanDyke\VShell\Server\SFTP Enable Pre 2.6 Virtual Root Compatibility

After enabling this registry option, do you see the behavior you desire with SFTP roots?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:19 AM

Perfect.

These registry settings really need to be in the front-end!!

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 AM

Hi jimbobmcgee,

I have submitted a feature request regarding making this option accessible from the VShell Control Panel.

In the event that a future release of VShell is made available with this functionality, we will post here.

If you would like to be contact personally, feel free to send us a note with your request, and incude a reference to this forum thread (3252).
Old 10-21-2008, 10:34 AM

Thanks.

There are a wealth of features in the registry that could be useful in the front-end. You may remember I also had a recent issue requiring Kerberos authentication that could only be available via a registry entry, too.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:01 AM

Hi jimbobmcgee,

Thanks for the feedback.

I have also submitted a feature request in your behalf regarding exposing the 'Use Kerberos Protocol Transition' option in the VShell Control Panel.

As with your other feature request, we will post to this forum thread in the event that a version of VShell is made available with this option exposed in the GUI.