Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 07-29-2014, 08:38 AM

Exclamation CRT very slow to log onto devices

Hi there,
I've noticed that in the last week or so CRT has become very slow at logging onto devices via SSH and/or Telnet.

Is there any reason for this?

My colleague has also noticed the same issue.

We're running version 7.2.5

Thanks,

Paul
Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Paul,

I would say that there isn't an explicit SecureCRT reason for this.

You may consider finding out what changed in the network environment about a week ago.

Since you see the slowness for both SSH2 and Telnet connections, you may want to use a packet tracing utility to see where the slowdown is occurring along the network path.

Another tool that may be helpful is the SecureCRT trace options capability. You could see where in the output the slowness is occurring. You can enable Trace Options in the File menu prior to connecting. It may be more helpful for SSH2 connections as opposed to Telnet connections.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 07-29-2014, 01:01 PM

Do you guys happen to use radius authentication for your logons? Perhaps you have a radius server having issues and authentication requests are timing out.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:42 AM

Hi Guys,
thanks for your replies.

Perhaps I should have been clearer, the slowness happens the first time I attempt to log into a device after opening CRT, I get the "application not responding" alert and the application greys out for approx 60secs.

Subsequent SSH connections work fine however, so rather than this being a "network issue" I believe this has something to do with the application.

Are there any known bugs for the above behavior?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 AM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update. This is not a known issue, so I would still like to know what has changed in the environment. If you didn't see this a week ago, then my guess is that something changed.

What is the location of the configuration folder?

You can find this in the General / Configuration Paths category of the Global Options dialog.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 07-31-2014, 09:37 AM

Hi there,
to our knowledge nothing has changed, could it be a windows update that has caused this?

Our cofig files are stored locally on all our PC, e.g. on mine:

C:\Users\me\work\VanDyke\Config

FYI Putty connects fine.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 07-31-2014, 04:10 PM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update. Did trace options output tell you more about where the delay is?

Are you using the personal configuration folder option?

I wonder if you see this issue using a new clean configuration folder. You can create a new configuration folder by adding a 1 to the end of the existing path. You will need to close and reopen SecureCRT to test this.

I don't think that it is a Windows update, but at this point, I am not sure we can rule anything out since you are using a local path for your configuration folder.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 PM

Having issues with slow connectivity to devices while using SecureCRT 7.2.6

I was previously using a 7.0 version of SecureCRT and never had any kind of connectivity issue and last week decided to upgrade to 7.2.6. Once I done this, more than one connection slows things down quite a bit. My configuration is hosted on my local machine and even when I tried to go back to the 7.0 version, still had the slow connection problem. First connection can take approximately 15 - 30 seconds to load and addition can take up to 2 minutes. I have several port forwarding connections setup (old version was the same), and all the recommendations that I found in the forums, I have tried with little to no improvements. I have a check that I run on multiple systems (use to be able to do all at once), however, if I try now, my machine basically halts. Any other suggestions that I may be able to try to improve connections?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:02 PM

Hi jdboyce,

Since you see this issue in both versions of SecureCRT, my guess is that this is environmental, but we would need more information to see if this is the case or not.

Would you send trace options output for a slow connection to support@vandyke.com with a subject of Attn: Support - Forum thread #11616?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 09-17-2014, 08:03 AM

Hi All,

I was able to work with Paul (eiregobragh), and we found that the slowness was due to resolving a network printer.

We removed the printer from the SecureCRT configuration, and the slowness is resolved.

It is important to note that these types of issues will likely need to be handled on a case by case basis, and Process Monitor may be a good way to determine what is happening.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730