Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Secure Shell

Old 06-22-2006, 03:25 AM

I found out that changing the session options has no effect on an earlier started SSH2 session in a tab. (even if I logged out of the shell and reconnected).

Starting a new instance of SecureCRT did work, even if with the same session options that wouldn't work before (in an other instance) in the session that was in a tab.

Having that in mind, the option "Character Encoding: OEM" already made it work for me.
Attached Images
File Type: png securecrt-worx.png (23.3 KB, 1169 views)

Last edited by vandyke_pavlu; 06-22-2006 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:32 AM

Hi Vandyke_pavlu,

Which version of SecureCRT is installed?

Which changes were not applied when reconnecting to the session?

If the installed version is not the latest release of SecureCRT (5.1.2), does this release have the same issue?

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 06-22-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnygren
Hi Vandyke_pavlu,

Which version of SecureCRT is installed?

Which changes were not applied when reconnecting to the session?

If the installed version is not the latest release of SecureCRT (5.1.2), does this release have the same issue?
I'm not using the latest version: Version 5.0.4 (build 1065) - Official Release - November 10, 2005 (thought I did though).

I will try it again tomorrow, since versions 5.0.4 and 5.1.2 both save my preferences different (IIRC). The 5.1.2 is on a system I will be working tomorrow on.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyke_pavlu
I'm not using the latest version: Version 5.0.4 (build 1065) - Official Release - November 10, 2005 (thought I did though).

I will try it again tomorrow, since versions 5.0.4 and 5.1.2 both save my preferences different (IIRC). The 5.1.2 is on a system I will be working tomorrow on.
In version "Version 5.1.1 (build 269) - Official Release - April 25, 2006" this seems te be fixed!

Changing to OEM fixes the problem realtime
Old 06-23-2006, 03:19 AM

Quote:
In version "Version 5.1.1 (build 269) - Official Release - April 25, 2006" this seems te be fixed!

Changing to OEM fixes the problem realtime
Hmmz... maybe a bit early with my previous post ...

Case:
1. Start SecureCRT and start an SSH session to a Linux system with "Character Encoding: Default"
2. Start a other session to a Linux system with "Character Encoding: OEM"

ASCII Lines are displayed wrong in both sessions. If the order of the above sessions is reversed, both sessions (even the one with "Character Encoding: Default") show correct ASCII Lines (though the second shouldn't)....

Btw... this was tested on Debian Sarge running "make menuconfig" for kernel configuration.

If I got time today, I will update to 5.1.2 and test again.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:03 AM

Hi Vandyke_pavlu,

I have been able to reproduce what you are seeing.

In my test, I'm seeing that the first tab is setting the character encoding for the second tab.

This should not be happening and I have let the product manager know.

As soon as a solution is found, a post will be made here.

If you would prefer to be contacted via email, please send a message to support@vandyke com with a subject of 'ATTN: Teresa Forum Thread 921'.

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 02-11-2007, 04:32 AM

Is there any other doc on this? I've played with this for about 20 minutes now without getting box drawings to work. I've tried many combinations for lucidia console, courier new, utf/oem, and xterm/vt100/linux.

debian etch, securecrt 5.2.0
Old 02-12-2007, 11:01 AM

Hi Infinity005,

I'm sorry that there have been issues with the line drawing in SecureCRT 5.2.

Would it be possible to get a raw log from SecureCRT showing the incorrect line drawing characters?

The raw log will show what the remote is sending and help to find the correct combination of font and line drawing characters.

To create a raw log:

1. Before connecting with the session, select Raw Log Session from CRT's File menu.

2. In the Select Log File dialog, choose a folder and filename in which you would like the log text to be stored and click the Save button. At this point, if you open the File menu, you will notice that Raw Log Session now has a check-mark next to it; this indicates that raw logging is activated.

3. Now connect to the remote machine and perform the actions which cause the reported problem to occur.

4. Disconnect the session and select Raw Log Session from the File menu to turn off the raw log feature.

5. Browse to the location of the raw log file, attach the log to an email and send it to support@vandyke.com with a subject of 'ATTN: Teresa forum thread 921'.

Also let me know what emulation was being used when the log file is created. Usually, 'Linux' or 'Xterm' are the best choices for the emulation for Debian systems.

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 05-28-2007, 12:45 PM

Problems with line drawing characters and SecureCRT. I've tried many fonts and options. Below are screencaps of servers showing putty, cygwin ssh, cyg-Xterm ssh, and SecureCRT displaying same program on the same Debian Etch Linux box, along with screencaps of settings.

cygwin-x&cyg ssh, putty, and SecureCRT all connected to same server, ran midnight commander because it had the most box/line drawing function key uses for testing terminals. All functioned Key wise, but SecureCRT won't draw the lines.

securecrt-cygwin-putty-mc-line-error.png

Putty Font Settings:
ssh-putty-font-lucidia.png
ssh-putty-line-settings.png

Secure CRT Settings
scrt-ett-lucidia.png
scrt-ett-lucidia-2.png

cygwin ssh and xterm didn't have choices for setting up the line drawing, they just worked.

XWindow forwarding works in all of the ssh versions, as do function keys.
echo $TERM
xterm

I have came closest by using xterm emulation, but have tried linux, vt100, and many others, along with trying Lucidia Console, vt100, system, and many other fonts. I have also tried each new setting with "use unicode line drawing" checked and unchecked. The one thing I haven't done is force the character set to OEM, which I notice helped somebody a few posts up.

I found this thread last nite and went through the steps suggested here and many other places google told me about. I have updated the terminfo and ncurses libraries on the linux machines (Current Debian Linux Etch latest updates), disconnecting and reconnecting for each test.

I downloaded the UTF-8-test.txt. It displays several screens of garbage, but it does show that the normal and narrow font work, but no line drawing (in any of the ssh programs is it fully consistent in displaying mostly garbage, did I get a bad copy?).

Also, when I set SCRT to "Clone Session" on tab double click, if I have more than 4 tabs open, the program crashes and submits and error report to Microsoft. If I right click and pick "Clone Session" or "Add SFTP Tab", it works fine.

I've been using SecureCRT for several years, and this problem didn't arise until my upgrade to 5.5.0
Old 05-29-2007, 10:40 AM
VanDyke Customer Support

Hello troybtj.

When connected to a Redhat Linux server, both the XTerm and
Linux emulations work for me when I use Lucida console, OEM
character encoding and enable the "Use unicode line drawing
characters" setting.

Did you already check the support for East Asian languages
setting as discussed in a previous post in this thread to
make sure that the setting is not enabled?

Thank you

JJH
Old 05-29-2007, 12:02 PM

Thanks, I forgot to check the asian languages, unfortunately, they are not installed, so that didn't matter. I hope I was looking in the correct spot tho (ss provided).

SCRT Crash on clone seems to be my system, time to just be M$ Free and start with a new one. GIMP and Firefox have also randomly crashed since then, just a coincidence in timing with upgrade of SCRT from 3.4 (which did the lines fine) two weeks ago. I can't duplicate it today, so I can't say it is a flaw with SCRT, and will point the finger at me there.

Is this the correct area for the asian languages being disabled?
languages.png

It wasn't checked, I just clicked advanced and moved the windows side by side, those are the settings I have been using.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:45 PM
VanDyke Customer Support

Hi troybtj

You can actually get to the settings for East Asian
lanuguages in Windows XP if you open your Windows Control
Panel to the Regional and Language Options and select the
Languages tab.

We received the message you sent via e-mail, so we will
continue working with you via e-mail.

Thank you
JJH
Old 05-30-2007, 11:35 AM

Solved issue.

Set $LANG environment variable to en_US.UTF-8

Lucidia Console, UTF-8 Encoding, use UTF-8 Line drawing characters checked.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Hmmz... maybe a bit early with my previous post ...

Case:
1. Start SecureCRT and start an SSH session to a Linux system with "Character Encoding: Default"
2. Start a other session to a Linux system with "Character Encoding: OEM"

ASCII Lines are displayed wrong in both sessions. If the order of the above sessions is reversed, both sessions (even the one with "Character Encoding: Default") show correct ASCII Lines (though the second shouldn't)....

Btw... this was tested on Debian Sarge running "make menuconfig" for kernel configuration.

If I got time today, I will update to 5.1.2 and test again.

Hi Vandyke_pavlu,

The option to specify a different character encoding to each tab has been added to a pre-release version of SecureCRT.

If you would like to try out this release, please send me a message and reference this forum thread (921).

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 09-23-2008, 03:13 PM

One year later...

6.1, Build 349

Same problems when using figlet, mc, or other linux programs. Except it is intermittent. When line drawing works in Figlet, it doesn't work in an ncurses based app...

Either squiggles, or lower-bit line drawing chars with many ??? depending on settings.

SecureCRT is set to "Xterm" emulation on all below, font is Lucidea Console, Lucidia Typewriter gives same results.

~$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8
~$ echo $TERM
xterm

Xterm, Lucidia Console (all fonts tried, actually), Narrow Fonts checked/unchecked, family as UTF-8 with "use Unicode Line Drawing Chars" Checked OR unchecked (screencap looks same):

~$figlet Line Drawing #default font, Unicode line drawing On/off
? ?? ?
_ ???? ???? _ ???
? ? ?_
??? ??? ? ?? ?? ?? ??_?

Changing to diferent font in figlet works ok, but it's a bit.. "BIG". (spaces come out ok to say "Line Drawing", web compacts the spaces a bit)

~$ figlet -t -fmono9 Line Drawing #Using mono9 Unicode Line On/Off SCRT

_ ____
___ _ __ ___ _ _ __ ___ _ _ ___ _ __ ____
_ _ _
_ __
_____ ____ __ ___ __ ____ _
_

Same results if I have Unicode Line Drawing Checked or not.

Using OEM instead of UTF-8:
:~$ figlet -t -fmono9 Line Drawing #OEM Font Family Setting in SCRT

_ ____
___ _ __ ___ _ _ __ ___ _ _ ___ _ __ ____
_ _ _
_ __
_____ ____ __ ___ __ ____ _
_

Finally, using "Default" for Encoding:
~$ figlet Line Drawing #Unicode Line Drawing ON, OEM Encoding
G G G G
G G
GG GGGGGGGG GG
G
G G GG G GG GPGGGGG G G GGG
G
GGGGGG GGGG GG G GGG GG GGG GGG
G

~$ figlet Line Drawing # Unicode Line Drawing OFF, OEM Encoding
▌ ▗ ▗

▌ ▌▙▀▖▝▀▖▌ ▌

▐ ▌ ▌ ▌ ▌▌ ▞▀▌▐▐▐ ▐ ▌ ▌▚

▀▀▘▀▘▘ ▘▝▀▘ ▀▀ ▘ ▝▀▘ ▘▘ ▀▘▘ ▘▗

Sorry for the lack of screencaps! I can get those and any setting you'd like. The only item that changed was the SecureCRT Version. Putty still displays things normally, but.. I LOVE SecureCRT!

Next post will have The text "Line Drawing" Rendered as it is supposed to be.