Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 05-06-2019, 01:46 AM

Exclamation Always on Top

SecureCRT (8.1.4) keeps always opening with 'Always on Top' enabled.
Every time I disable this and click on 'save settings now' but once SecureCRT is closed and I started it again it's back.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:56 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi jjvalstar,

It is likely the permissions on your config are such that the change you are making is not being saved.

The location of your config folder is found in the General / Configuration Paths category of SecureCRT's Global Options.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-15-2019, 11:22 PM

Always on Top

The profile where the config is stored is at:
<Drive>:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\VanDyke\Config

Which mean that it is my profile and full under my control (beside that, I'm also the administrator of the PC).
Old 09-16-2019, 09:29 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi jjvalstar,

What you see/select in the View menu is something that is only going to persist until you close SecureCRT (memory only option).

The Session window always on top configurable option is a session-level config option (likely a legacy option from before tabs were supported).

If you disable this option in all sessions using Default Session (it is in the Terminal / Appearance / Window category), the issue should be resolved.

See this video for information on Default Session.

Also

Note: In order for a "change" to be applied to all other sessions, the Default session's option/field you're targeting must actually be modified/different from its current value. This means that if the targeted field you want to apply to all other sessions is *already* set to the value you want, you must first change it to something *different* (and apply that "change") and then edit the Default session again to set the option to its *desired* value (and apply that "change").

Since you would be making a change that affects many sessions, the recommendation is to export your config as a backup as a best practice. That can be done from the Tools menu (Export Settings), you would just specify an XML file where the info should be exported.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Tags
starting;on top